What % of turkeys are shot with aid of bait?

TheLBLman

Statewide, I don't think it's anywhere close to 50%, but wouldn't surprise me if it's in the 20% to 30% range.

Seems to be a much worse problem in some localities than others, and much less a problem on hunting clubs and large leases compared to small acreages, like a lot of people who have a few acres and a corn feeder right behind their house. Also think there is a lot less baiting on most public lands and WMA's (at least in TN).

Harold Money jr said:
I believe about 35% of checked in birds . . . . .
I'd also think a much higher percentage of birds poached over corn are simply not checked in at all (compared to legal harvests). I do think a higher percentage of the annual turkey harvest is poached over corn than the annual deer harvest.

Unfortunately, I don't see TWRA having the manpower or resources to catch but a tiny fraction of those shooting turkeys over bait.

Setterman

I would say on opening weekend, 60% or higher.

After that, I bet it drops below 20% but not lower then 15%.

With that being said, I quit hunting private land because I literally could not hunt anywhere that I didn't run into corn early in the season, and most birds I killed had corn in their crops.

So I might be completely wrong on my % assumptions.

RAFI

Not sure but of all the turkey i have shot I've never found one with corn in it.

Winchester

Would be interesting to know for sure. I dont see a whole lot of it around here and Im in the woods almost daily during Turkey season.

Harold Money jr

Everything said is what I've expierenced eg: Crops full of yella yelper, private land loaded down with it, one other thing is a farm I have hunted for the past couple of years had nearly 100 birds in a flock 18 gobblers 23 jakes and twice that many hens. This year there was no more than 25 total birds and when they flew down they went straight to the neighbors property. When huge flocks suddenly move a couple of weeks before the season something has definitely changed.

nate17

i shot 3 birds this year. one was full of corn.

I have no idea where it came from... i reckon one of the neighbors put some out? It would be nice to know these things in advance. I wasnt a real happy camper to say the least.

Setterman

Harold Money jr said:
Everything said is what I've expierenced eg: Crops full of yella yelper, private land loaded down with it, one other thing is a farm I have hunted for the past couple of years had nearly 100 birds in a flock 18 gobblers 23 jakes and twice that many hens. This year there was no more than 25 total birds and when they flew down they went straight to the neighbors property. When huge flocks suddenly move a couple of weeks before the season something has definitely changed.

I have access to a piece of property in Jefferson Cty that is the same way. Covered in birds every year until about 3 weeks or so before the season opens. Then they all shift about 500 yards to the neighbors. In the past, before I quit hunting private land here for turkeys, every bird I would kill would be loaded with shelled corn. Not a corn field for miles. Same goes for property in Sevier, Roane, Anderson, Grainger, Hawkins, and Greene counties where I have hunted.

Setterman

spitndrum said:
I have never killed one with corn in it but yet I have only killed 3 my whole life lol!

I hadn't ever had it happen until I moved here. At first I just thought they had a corn field somewhere they were heading. Well after driving all over and finding now corn fields, I finally started to realize what was going on.

It sucks, but the good news is that most of those folks hunt opening weekend and that was it.

I finally just gave up on private land here, the farms are so small, that it is constantly something with other folks. I figured I would head to the giant tracts of public land, where running into people would be expected and not cause me to be angry. It has worked out well, and I spend turkey season relaxed and happy versus frustrated and mad.

Biggun4214

Most of the officers spend several weeks before season looking for bait. It's much easier to find if there is a starting point. Call the local Regional Poaching Hotline and report it. We caught a man hunting this year while investigating a report.

Setterman

Bigg'un4214 said:
Most of the officers spend several weeks before season looking for bait. It's much easier to find if there is a starting point. Call the local Regional Poaching Hotline and report it. We caught a man hunting this year while investigating a report.

I agree and until a few years ago I wasn't convinced and didn't wish to waste anyones time coming out to investigate. However, that will change from here forward. Even though I don't hunt there anymore, the crap has got to stop.

Winchester

I just dont see the point. Turkey hunting is about the vocal game for me. Sitting over a corn pile would be boring and a waste of my time personally! I too have killed several over the years however with corn in them. A lot of people here that dont even hunt will feed them in their yards, just to watch them.

Latest posts