What Kind Of Terrain?

Stoner

If you walk onto a new piece of property what kind of terrain do you look for when starting to search for artifacts? Sinkholes have always been a favorite spot to start looking here in Florida. In Alabama I would look for high points of land adjacent to a creek. On one parcel of property I hunted there was and Indian mound in a hardwood bottom (I would never dig in an Indian mound; personally I think it is morally wrong to disturb the dead and desecrate a gravesite). I had read the mounds many time would be located across a creek from where the indians lived and I would dig those areas or in the creek and dig out some of the creek embankments. Wondering what you all look for on a piece of land finding a place to dig.

bobthebowhunter

I was always told the second hill or ridge from a creek bed. This was in Ohio where I used to hunt. Don' know if that would apply in the hill country of TN.

I wouldn't dig into an indan mound. I have The blood of the Creek Tribe in my veins, and wouldn't disturb the deceased. Just like I wouldn't go diggin in a moderday graveyard.

Good luck.

Latest posts