What if …

Iglow

I've never had any problems in the past but the world is changing so fast. I haven't had a squirrel dog since 2020 when my old dog died but have a pup now and we are gonna get started soon. I always had orange vests/ tracking collars on them until deer season ended and mostly hunted after 10:00 am till about mid December so as to not mess anybody up if I could help it.
I was just wondering what the general attitude is about it these days.

Iglow

My reaction would be "well that stinks but it's not against the rules. Maybe I should start looking for private land to hunt."
I've hunted public a lot deer hunting and know it would suck to get up early and do all you have to do only to have a dog come tree 50yds from where you set up, that is a situation I want to avoid but still be to squirrel hunt my dog.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I asked some guys as they were getting their rabbit dogs out which way they were headed and then told them where I was going which was in the opposite direction. I had several locations to choose depending on what they told me and I was using a climbing stand. They ended up down by me with their dogs a little later.

I enjoyed watching the dogs run and seeing a rabbit running around in the woods outsmarting them. Some of the dogs were learning with the older dogs. My hope was that as they got deeper into the stuff out away from me they would get deer to move my direction. My other hope was that the dogs and hunters would move out of the area before it got too close to sunset. I didn't have any luck that evening.

Last edited:

killingtime 41

Everyone has the right to hunt public. You won't have any problems at all. As long as you don't pull up to a spot you know someone is deer hunting. Then unload the dog knowing you're about to mess his morning up. Same would go for the other person. If I pull up and see dog box or just another truck in general I move on to another place. As long as everyone has a mutual respect for one another. Don't see anyway what your asking would be a problem.

Jcalder

Everyone has the right to hunt public. You won't have any problems at all. As long as you don't pull up to a spot you know someone is deer hunting. Then unload the dog knowing you're about to mess his morning up. Same would go for the other person. If I pull up and see dog box or just another truck in general I move on to another place. As long as everyone has a mutual respect for one another. Don't see anyway what your asking would be a problem.
The problem is not everyone thinks that way.

Topshelf

To be honest most deer hunters "text book hunts" are a bunch of bull crap these days. And yea even I am guilty of getting worked up over non sense at times. Hunting is supposed to be fun not another job that we don't really wanna do. Tv has ruined hunting and what it's about. Sometimes people out squirrel hunting may help get the deer on their feet and provide some haunted across the hill or holler a shot they wouldn't have had otherwise.

hillbillyfab

Where do you plan on hunting? I ask because we hunt public ground with our little cur. We haven't ran into any "problems" as of yet. I had one guy at the boat ramp ask if we were bringing our dog with us? When I explained we were squirrel hunting, he said he hadn't hunted with a dog in years and wished us luck.

Iglow

Where do you plan on hunting? I ask because we hunt public ground with our little cur. We haven't ran into any "problems" as of yet. I had one guy at the boat ramp ask if we were bringing our dog with us? When I explained we were squirrel hunting, he said he hadn't hunted with a dog in years and wished us luck.
We go to Preist, Cedar forest mostly.

DMD

Heck, slow as my seasons been going, I'd welcome a squirrel hunter and his dog. 😂😂. Oh . and i could put him on about 1258 squirrels in one place i hunt. 😂😂

Latest posts