What caliber and bullet do u prefer on coyotes.

Speedwell-Hunter

I use a 150gr .308. Since I got a rec 10 a couple of years ago, this is pretty much what I use for most things. It is accurate at 100 yards, seems to be good at 450, and should be good well beyond. It is good for target shooting, coyotes, deer, ... I like simplicity and consistency. By using one gun, one caliber, one bullet weight (and brand and style) for everything I shoot better and more confidently. I pretty much have the bullet drop memorized, and the app for my scope is on my phone anyway with my setup as the default.

I do have to admit, it would be a bit much for squirrels or blackbirds.
what brand of 308 ammo do you use?

Swampster

what brand of 308 ammo do you use?
Generally, the cheaper Winchester PowerPoint. There is a lot more expensive out there, but to me it seems to shoot consistently. Still not cheap. A year and a half I would buy them at Walmart for $17.98. Then late last summer until recently they were never in stock. Now they seem to have plenty at about $27.

ROVERBOY

I've had a Savage 110 .223 for years but, never killed one with it. My nephew borrowed it for awhile and killed 2 or 3 with it though. My handloads with 55 gr. Sierra. The only ones I've killed were with .308 and 150 gr. Hornady Interlocks and .50 cal. MZ with 240 gr. XTP, and 12 gauge with Win. Longbeards #4 shot. Ran off a couple nice gobblers, so I shot him.

RockMcL

Usually use a .223, and a 55 grain either soft point or varmageddon. That said, I will kill every rotten coyote I get a chance on with whatever I have or can get in my hands.
My go to has been 223/556 usually left all year with Fusion 62gn so I can brain shoot a deer in season.

Maybe not a full list but off the top of my head: crossbow bolt, 22lr, 45 colt, 357 mag, 45 acp, 50 cal ML, 12 gauge, 308, 243, the truck.

What at hand...

Bell3wv

Hi i always used a 22 250 and a 22 250AI. And loaded with berger 52 gr hp. But i bought a 204 ruger few yrs back. That has become my favorite coyote gun. I have other rifles too use. But i been shooting even hogs here lately with the 204. Killed my last one running. It dropped and went end over end. I been shooting berger 35 gr hp. I picked few boxes berger 40gr hp . I worked up several different loads with different powders with the 40 gr. To me a coyote coming to a call. Doesn't get much better than that.
I like the .204 and my Ruger is extremely accurate with 45gr soft points but can't us them on coyote (lesson learned). The 40gr Hornady red tips do well on them without making a giant hole.

Attachments

• 29811.jpeg
    29811.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts