What atv/utv for food plot

waumpuscat

I am shopping to replace my 1994 Polaris sportsman that has just about had enough. I need utility and food plot service and want to look for something with some pulling power(relatively speaking). It has been so long since I shopped and I know there are some really strong machines out there. Side by sides would be great if I can afford a good used one. What do y'all think would be good choices.

bigtex

redblood said:
i would really consider buying a small tractor. much more efficient. 8n ford. all day for 2k.
Yes small compact tractors work great. I purchased a used Yanmar compact tractor several years ago and it does great. It's just 26 H.P. but is 4 wheel drive and diesel. It pulls a 5' bushhog and disc with ease.
But still, I have some out of the way small plots on top of some very steep ridges that I would never take the tractor to so I still use my Polaris Ranger for those situations. Mine is a 900 XP and does great, i've pulled some pretty large logs out of the woods with it and it pulls a small disc pretty well.
If you go the ATV, UTV route get one with plenty of H.P. Pulling any kind of ground engaging implement is hard on them.

waumpuscat

very helpful, I figured the tractor is no doubt vehicle of choice for pulling but when I think of how well the little 400 Sportsman has done I thought I would ask around about other atv/utv machines and those who felt they were successful with their food plots and what machines they use. That is great feedback on the Yanmar and I will take note.

bigtex

Your in Middle Tn. Check out Tullahoma Tractor, they usually have a lot full of them. All different sizes and prices, I had them put a front end loader on mine when I purchased it.
BTW, Yanmar made all of the compact tractors for John Deere at one time [might still] They just painted them green.
Tullahoma Tractor.......http://www.tullahomatractor.com/

Here's my "little" tractor.......
P3160072.jpg

bigtex

eyeseeker said:
What is that attachment ?
It's called a "renovator" not much more than a box blade without the box. does a great job of tearing up new ground and pulling up tree roots, etc.
I use it in new plots first then go over it with a disc.

eyeseeker

Awesome! Would it be a good substitution for a chisel plow ? I,m working on finding a tractor myself and dont necessarily want to get one with enough hp for a chisel.

bigtex

Yes it does about the same thing as a chisel plow. A chisel plow would probably be a little more durable, but i've had no problems pulling up roots, rocks, etc with this thing. My tractor is just 26 h.p. so it will bog down if it feeels too much resistance, which is probably a good thing, lol.
I purchased the renovator when I got my tractor, along with the FEL.

bigtex

Great!! It's been several years since I purchased mine. But they are great guys to deal with and have the best prices around.

PickettSFHunter

I use a Grizzly 600 with no problems so far but it does limit you and place alot of strain on any atv. I really want a tractor but have basically made an agreement with myself that I have to get out of college and get a career before I buy one lol

Boone 58

waumpuscat said:
I am shopping to replace my 1994 Polaris sportsman that has just about had enough. I need utility and food plot service and want to look for something with some pulling power(relatively speaking). It has been so long since I shopped and I know there are some really strong machines out there. Side by sides would be great if I can afford a good used one. What do y'all think would be good choices.

I have a 400 yamaha kodiak and love it but i would get a 550 with the independant suspen. and power steer.....this unit is a beast and it is an auto on the pink unicorn and i can tell you it is da bomb. I use mine very regularly and pull a 340# disc rated for it and a drag harrow 150#s to work food plots and it is an awesome atv. below is a pic of hauling lime cart and i have thrown out 50,000 pds of lime with this set up manually . that is a 10cu ft cart and i load about 450 per load.
ResizedImage_1332468819479.jpg

061909_1108a.jpg

ShortysTake0094.jpg

With drag harrow,before and after shot.

022708_1504a.jpg

022708_1509a.jpg

With disk..
ShortysTake0232.jpg

waumpuscat

I have that same trailer that I pull with mine and have also pulled an old disc that really does a pretty good job. That Yamaha has always interested me. Thanks for your pictures and comments.

bigtex

redblood said:
a small four wheel drive tractor should go anywhere a utv will go
LOL, i'll give ya $5.00 and let you try to drive my tractor up and down one of my ridges. As long as you pay the repair bill and someone to put it back up on the wheels. ;)
Any tractor has a much higher center of gravity [can you say top heavy] than a UTV, and roll over a lot easier. Beleive me....I know.
Going up wasn't so bad, it's the coming back down that's a killer.

Boone 58

waumpuscat said:
I have that same trailer that I pull with mine and have also pulled an old disc that really does a pretty good job. That Yamaha has always interested me. Thanks for your pictures and comments.

Some really great results.

110511173950-1.jpg

101309_09441.jpg

ShortysTake0138.jpg

Latest posts