What a 4 day hunt- #1, 2, & 3 down!

jbranham63

Well I went back to middle TN for my last 4 days hunt of the season and boy was it a good one. The first morning I went on a farm in Fentress County. We saw several birds there opening morning but none were ever close enough. They were gobbling there heads off this morning but of course they flew down in a field next to the one I was set up in. So I snuck around to the field I thought they were in and saw them as I eased next to the fence row. However, they saw me so they eased back into the woods and over the hill. I follewed them for probably a mile trying to get around in front of them and finally I did. 20 yard shot. Down @ about 10:15. Bird #1 of the season 18lb, 1/2 spurs, 10 in. beard.
bird1may72010.jpg

The date on this next pic is messed up.
TurkeyMay720100002.jpg

Well Saturday it was very windy. Couldnt hear anything. I think I only saw one bird all day long.
Sunday morning got up and decided to go to another farm I had permission to hunt on. I heard one gobbling on the roost and got as close as I could and set up. Well evidentally I was a little too close and he flew down and flew right back off bc he saw me as soon as he flew down. So I decided to go to the other side of his farm. Got there and was walking in and heard a gobble coming from the direction where I had missed earlier in the season. I made a soft yelp and was cut off by gobbling. I got set up at the edge of the field he was in and it was on. Made a few soft yelps and here he came in a dead run. He stopped about 50 yards out and started gobbling and strutting. I made another soft yelp and he came on in. Bird # 2 down @ 30 yards. Down @ 7:10. 20lb 10in. beard, 1 1/4 in spurs- Pickett County.
bird2May92010.jpg

spursmay92010.jpg

TurkeyMay92010.jpg

Well Monday morning was going to be my last morning of the season. So I headed back to the same farm as the day before. Birds were going crazy on the roost. I set up about 75 yards from a bird on roost. He wasnt having none of it though of course he already had some hens. He flew down and went out of sight. So I went around to check other fields and saw a couple gobblers in a field by themselves. I knew I could get within 25 yards bc of how the land was. I started sneaking and got about 35 yards and called a couple times. Evidentally cows dont like turkey calling. They took off from back behind me and ran straight in the direction of the birds. Needless to say the birds flew off. I then went to the other side of his farm. I seen a bird out in the field and I knew were he was headed. I made a circle and got up in front of him. He gobbled down in the edge of the woods and I was in a treeline in the middle of the field. I made a few soft yelps and here he came out @ about 75 yards in full strut gobbling his head off. Finally after about 10 min of calling back a forth he got to 35 yards and I dirt rolled him. #3 down @ 9:15. What a way to end the season. 21 lb, 1 in. spurs, 10.5 in. beard- Pickett County.
bird3May10th2010.jpg

TurkeyMay102010.jpg

All birds were taken with my mossberg 500 with undertaker choke. Altogether on this hunt I seen 11 longbeards, several hens, and heard several other birds.

jbranham63

Re: What a 4 day hunt- #1, 2, & 3 down!

Thanks everyone for all the comments. Ive only been hunting them for 3 years now but this has been the best season so far. Thanks again!

Latest posts