What .243 to buy?

hitek7

I am looking to buy a .243 to have for the kids I take hunting and for my daughter to have in a couple years. I amy shoot it some as well. It does not need to be a high end gun but I want a decent shooting gun. I have looked at the Mossberg Maverick and the the Remington 770. The Remington is a heavier but I like that it has a clip unlike the Mossberg. Anyone have opinions on either of these guns. Are another model I should consider. Thanks in advance.

huntinman

I have a Rem 700 in 243, and it shoots really good. When my youngest was 11, he took a fat doe with it. It also dotted his eye, since he had it too close to the scope. Oh what memories...lol

I am in the market for a Rem 7600 pump in 243 if anyone out there has one they will part with.

jakeway

REM Model 7 is a good one for kids, especially the Youth model. I own a Ruger Compact in 243 and it shoots and handles really well.

I like the idea of single shots for novice hunters; no worries about forgetting to put safety on after excited shot. Of course, you can always load a bolt with one shell.

Today I picked up a CVA catalog and they have a new centerfire single shot called a Scout which weighs just under 6 pounds and is avail in 243. I know nothing about how well it shoots.

infoman jr.

I used a model 700 ADL .243 from age 9 to about 16. I shot many deer with it. I'd have to recommend a 700 sps DM since you like the detachable mag.

JimFromTN

If you are looking for cheap, try the Stevens 200 or Marlin xl7. I would stay away from the rem 770. If you can spend a little more, Academy has rem 700 adl's for $350.

Latest posts