Smokeless What 209 primer?

Smokeless

Linepaw

Recently bought a savage 10ml11. What primer are you guys using with your savage smokeless setup? Lots of info out there on the web, but I wanted to hear what y'all were using. Thanks

lapuafan

Linepaw":x062i1xp said:
Recently bought a savage 10ml11. What primer are you guys using with your savage smokeless setup? Lots of info out there on the web, but I wanted to hear what y'all were using. Thanks
I used winchester or federal in mine. But since I had the 45 built not shot it in couple years. Give you heads up. Call luke or get on ebay order you some vent liners to have. That is the key to accuracy in my book.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lapuafan

Linepaw":2aafx514 said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm new to the smokeless world. How often should I change the vent liner?
When it starts not grouping is when I would change it. I have kept the ones put in cleaner and used the sonic cleaner from hornady on them some work good some dont. My experience is about every 50 to 75 shots I would have to change it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jlanecr500

Ultimately, a carbide bushing in the plug will last a hunter forever. Ventliner life varies greatly depending on powder used. Fast powder (imrsr4759, N110) will burn them out pretty quickly. Slower powders (4198, N120, RELODER 7) will give extended life. The way to check them is to buy a torch tip cleaner set. Measure their diameter with calipers or micrometer. Pick one that measures approx .040". Use it as a no-go gage. If it goes thru the ventliner, replacement is advised.

As far as primer brand, Federal are hotter but I've not experienced results as good as I've had with Winchester 209's.

Latest posts