weeds

LA man

when i make our garden we make the rows wide enough so we can run the tiller between rows, then all thats left to weed is right by the plants. is the best way i found so far. i have a friend that mixes weed killer in a bucket and uses a mop to pass over the weeds in the rows. just dont get to close to the plants.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Spoon I have used leaves and grass clippings for mulch between the rows alot.You will find that the leaves break down pretty quickly when used by themselves. A layer of leaves with a layer of straw or grass clippings on top will last the entire growing season .

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
buckhunter42 said:
can anyone give me some ideas about how they keep weeds out of their garden.........
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... ost2221685
Several good ideas in this thread in case you missed it Buckhunter.
I mentioned a weed torch in it.A weed torch and burning the garden is the most effective way I have found to get rid of weed seeds in a garden.You obviously need to be very carefull that conditions are right for burning or torching . Make sure you have the proper burn permit or local ordinance's allow it..
My torch is similar to this one.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200311878
I hook it to a 20 gal propane tank .Then put the tank in a wagon.After a row has been tilled I go the row and and torch it.Fire kills the weed seeds and sterlizes the soil.

Pic at the casa

LA man said:
when i make our garden we make the rows wide enough so we can run the tiller between rows, then all thats left to weed is right by the plants. is the best way i found so far. i have a friend that mixes weed killer in a bucket and uses a mop to pass over the weeds in the rows. just dont get to close to the plants.

I've done that with a paint roller and a thick nap.

ShaneHallum

We run a tiller between the rows, and hoe out between the plants.

Seems to me like grass clippings would add more weeds to the garden. Kinda like when you blow grass on your flower beds or driveway..

mr.big

eric141.jpg

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Something to keep in mind when hoeing a garden evertime you dig into the soil you are digging up more weed seeds to germinate and sprout in the garden. The proper way is to skim the surface with a very sharp hoe and just cut the weed off.
Different folks prefer different hoes . A scuffle hoe is the one that I like the best.Some are called Dutch hoes others are Japanesse ,swivel, or Hula-Ho hoes the princle is the same.The important thing is to keep your hoe razor sharp. Your job will be much easier and more effective.I also prefer a long handled hoe. The extra length makes the job much easier.

Latest posts