Weed control

Sako

OK... I have to do something.... Plastic is interesting but How does the water get through? Hay sounds like it would be good since I could till it in at the end of the year to add organic matter to the soil....

what do you do? how do you like it?

Also, who uses Hay or straw for weed control and how does it work?

Paul Burns

Sako I used straw for the first time last year and will do it again this year. Works for weeds and holds moisture good too.
weeds pull up easily if they come up.
Turn it under in the fall or winter.

catman529

the woven weed barrier fabric works great, it lets water through but keeps weeds out.

I have heard that if you pile up the hay at least a foot or two thick, it will let water in, but keep sun out and also keep water in and most weeds won't be able to grow up through it. Not tried it though so I can't say for sure.

fishboy1

Did the newspaper and much thing last year. Worked good until the first big storm. Had a dang sod farm going in the garden 2 weeks later.

Need to figure something else out for this year. May try the plastic or weed stop.

Poor redneck

Mulch, beer, and a four year old that I have convinced it is fun to work in the garden every afternoon. After the four year old gets wise, it will probably take more mulch and beer.

TX300mag

fishboy1 said:
Anybody have photos of their garden using the plastic or weedstop?

Thanks

Here's a couple of raised beds using the weed fabric. It lets moisture in. Just about maintenance free other than fertilizing. The grass you see on the fabric is from weedeating around the beds.

6-6-10.jpg

peppers.jpg

trealtree

Typar. You may be able to buy some scrap from Specialty Converting in Watertown,TN. I still have about 200 ft from when I worked there 15 years ago.

TX300mag

That's the 4' weedstop fabric from Lowes. It's a little expensive buying it that way, but I couldn't justify buying 5000' when I only needed around 100'. :)

One thing I really need to add is that the fabric is designed to let water through one way. By doing so, it will let just enough sunlight that some weeds would grow underneath.

You never see them, as they stay under the fabric, but I figure it's a good trade-off for not having to lay down driptape like you would have to with plastic mulch. I couldn't see myself working up a driptape system for 16' beds.

Plan on picking 2 five gallon buckets of peppers at a time from each bed. :crazy:

Sako

OK... I bit the bullet and ordered 4500 sq foot of Weed fabric... I am going for it... I will post pics and how it does.

Latest posts