Weed control and Trellis

Sako

Well after some planning this year.... I went wtih the weedbarrier cloth for weed control. So far it is working really well. I have tried the newspaper in the past but it just did not seem to work well for me. I am alittle worried that the black weedcloth will jack up the tempatures during the height of the summer. I know a significant portion of the garden will be shaded by plants but not sure if that will be enough. I will keep an eye on it and if it does get bad I will put straw on top of it. How are everyone elses efforts this year working? Anyone had issues with the added temp from using black weedcloth?

I also devised some new trellises this year. I used some old supports for some and also built a new set. The new set is made to make it is easier to get in between them to pick from both sides. These are for my beans and for mu cucumbers to climb on. Hopefully they work well this year. I did try and plant my beans in rows that I could use the trellises on both sides.... hopefully this will work well....

What does everyone else use for trellis for their beans and cucumbers?

And last but not least, I am only planting 1/2 my garden now, I am planning on planting a second crop in mid June. I will then come back around to this section and plant winter squash, winter greens, lettuce and maybe some cabbage and brocolli.

So far I have, yellow squash, zuchinni, tomatoes, hot peppers, Bell peppers, three types of green beans, cucumbers and potatoes and some purple hulls.

CIMG3408.jpg

CIMG3407.jpg

CIMG3404.jpg

Latest posts