Peaches and Cream

bigtex

My favorite sweet corn and it's been a good year for it. First picking of the year and pulled 101 ears. I will probably get another 200 ears in the next week or so.
This is the first year that the Racoons and Squirrels haven't helped themselves. Looks like the 4 strand electric fence is doing its job.
This batch went into the freezer, the rest will be shared with neighbors, relatives and friends.
corn.jpg

Buzzard Breath

The dang squirrels are all at my place eating my eggplants. They let the plants grow to about 8 inches, then mow them down.

So, how do you freeze them? We've got a bunch of corn, in the husk, being delivered to our house tomorrow and my wife wants to freeze it. We've always just cut it off the cob and done it that way, but she's wondering if we shouldn't freeze some whole.

bigtex

The dang squirrels are all at my place eating my eggplants. They let the plants grow to about 8 inches, then mow them down.

So, how do you freeze them? We've got a bunch of corn, in the husk, being delivered to our house tomorrow and my wife wants to freeze it. We've always just cut it off the cob and done it that way, but she's wondering if we shouldn't freeze some whole.
We freeze most of it on the cob but do make some cream corn as well.
To freeze it on the cob we "blanch" it for 5 min, then put it immediately into the sink with ice cold water to stop the cooking process, put it on towels on the counter until it's room temp, bag it loosely into large bags and into the freezer, when it's frozen [usually the next day] we vacuum seal it 2-3 ears per bag.
It keeps really well with this method, not quite as good as fresh out of the garden but it is really good.

backyardtndeer

Always run electric around our garden when I have corn. Don't ever have a problem with coons. Before I started using electric fence around it, they wiped us out one year.

Latest posts