Ways to attract deer in wooded areas

JeepKuntry

Besides salt/mineral blocks, what are your thoughts on attracting deer to certain area in the woods? We don't have many open spots so a food plot is out of the question. I had thought about trying to find a few open patches around creeks, rake off, and fertilize so rainfall would drain down to those spots. Thoughts on what would be the right fertilizer given limited light.

BSK

Without sunlight hitting the ground, little of value to wildlife will grow. Honestly, the only real answer is getting sunlight on the ground, but that requires opening the canopy.

Have you ever considering asking the owner about taking a small patch of timber and killing trees of no wildlife habitat or timber value? Releasing the valuable trees from neighboring competition will increase their growth and production, while also allowing sunlight to reach the forest floor through the gaps in the canopy produced by killing the undesirable trees.

TN Larry

Without sunlight hitting the ground, little of value to wildlife will grow. Honestly, the only real answer is getting sunlight on the ground, but that requires opening the canopy.

Have you ever considering asking the owner about taking a small patch of timber and killing trees of no wildlife habitat or timber value? Releasing the valuable trees from neighboring competition will increase their growth and production, while also allowing sunlight to reach the forest floor through the gaps in the canopy produced by killing the undesirable trees.

I have been thinking the same. I own the property so asking the owner is no problem. :) Mine is either a cedar thicket or fairly open woods made up of small oaks. The property was select cut around 10 to 15 years ago but not very thick.

Any suggestions?

Omega

Food plots don't have to be large, I plant mine right on the access road, and a side trail and they stop just long enough for a shot.

Antler Daddy

We had a select timber cut about 13 years ago. They left all the oaks above maybe 15" diameter. It looks like a bunch of trash trees have grown back and are getting 2-4 inches now. The problem is that I'm not confident enough to know which trees to kill without any leaves on them.

Is there a good list of middle tn trees with no value and some pics of the younger trees without leaves?

JeepKuntry

It is a lease. We are somewhat limited on what we can do in terms of tree removal. Generally I maintain/trim logging roads that serve as access points. My thoughts were to be to really scout and try to find areas that may fit in terms of sunlight. If I am able to find those areas, what would you suggest I do for fertilization?

Snake

It is a lease. We are somewhat limited on what we can do in terms of tree removal. Generally I maintain/trim logging roads that serve as access points. My thoughts were to be to really scout and try to find areas that may fit in terms of sunlight. If I am able to find those areas, what would you suggest I do for fertilization?
Not a farmer but you would need to know ph value , probably could lime it but you really need to know how much . Take a soil sample somewhere were they could do that for you, probably farm agent but don't really know. Once you've done that then you can use fertilizer before you plant whatever you are going to plant.

BSK

In the vast majority of TN east of KY Lake, the problem isn't nutrient poor soil, but highly acidic soil. If I would recommend anything (without soil samples) I would recommend throwing around some of the bagged, granulated lime. It doesn't matter what nutrients are in the soil if it is acidic. The acidity binds the nutrients to the soil particles to the point plants can't access them. Neutralizing the soil by adding lime releases what nutrients are already there naturally.

As for what to plant, Elbon Rye will virtually grow on concrete. Plus it has some added benefits in that it will quickly add biomass to the soil after a season or two of growth, and it has some natural herbicidic qualities (reduces the growth of broadleaf weeds).

TNTreeman

In the vast majority of TN east of KY Lake, the problem isn't nutrient poor soil, but highly acidic soil. If I would recommend anything (without soil samples) I would recommend throwing around some of the bagged, granulated lime. It doesn't matter what nutrients are in the soil if it is acidic. The acidity binds the nutrients to the soil particles to the point plants can't access them. Neutralizing the soil by adding lime releases what nutrients are already there naturally.

As for what to plant, Elbon Rye will virtually grow on concrete. Plus it has some added benefits in that it will quickly add biomass to the soil after a season or two of growth, and it has some natural herbicidic qualities (reduces the growth of broadleaf weeds).
Yes. Fertilizer is expensive and does no good if the ph is off. It's like baking a cake, you can add all the sugar in a cake you want but without flour and other ingredients it won't work . Lime is cheap and takes awhile to incorporate into the soil and most areas need it especially around cedars or other evergreens.

JeepKuntry

Thank you for the responses. I had thought about lime. Any suggestions time wise on when to put lime out and when to put something like rye out?

Gray Squirrel

I've had good results with fall food plots under tree canopies by pruning as high as I can with a 16ft pole saw. Then raking leaves and loosening Soil. Plotspike clover mix and annual ryegrass seed. Then lightly compact so seed has good contact with soil. Planted this Sep 1st last year.

Attachments

• 388086CB-3AF4-4D2C-B6E8-8F360A393A7E.jpeg
    388086CB-3AF4-4D2C-B6E8-8F360A393A7E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 342
  • C0B8254C-E29A-4632-802E-16F5A2AD69CD.jpeg
    C0B8254C-E29A-4632-802E-16F5A2AD69CD.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 293
  • 53CD4F20-2BF8-4D3B-BA44-E25081CC630F.jpeg
    53CD4F20-2BF8-4D3B-BA44-E25081CC630F.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:

Footvolman

I have been thinking the same. I own the property so asking the owner is no problem. :) Mine is either a cedar thicket or fairly open woods made up of small oaks. The property was select cut around 10 to 15 years ago but not very thick.

Any suggestions?
I have cut some of my cedar thicket trees and just let lay. This makes a great bedding area. I plan on letting dry out then burn in about 2 years. Have video of mature bucks already coming from this area.

Acorn

Thank you for the responses. I had thought about lime. Any suggestions time wise on when to put lime out and when to put something like rye out?
I put my annual rye grass out around late September to the first of October. This allows it to get started good before the leave fall. Once the leaves fall rack it off for best results. Once the sun starts hitting it it will jump up fast.

JeepKuntry

Well pretty much every hunter in the mountains around me just simply goes to the co-op and gets some yeller acorns. 😂
I'm sure they do! I had one dump a bunch of corn out last August where I normally sit for the velvet hunt. Just trying to think of small things to possibly lure more deer into spots.

Hridge

Besides salt/mineral blocks, what are your thoughts on attracting deer to certain area in the woods? We don't have many open spots so a food plot is out of the question. I had thought about trying to find a few open patches around creeks, rake off, and fertilize so rainfall would drain down to those spots. Thoughts on what would be the right fertilizer given limited light.
I'm in a couple government programs. They come out and burn my pine stands and they came out and did a hack and squirt on all invasive trees. They take a machete, make a gash in tree, and put poison in that gash. The tree will die and fall over. It creates a mess for a couple years but it is awesome after that. You can also hinge cut trees to create bedding areas. Hinge cutting definitely works. Planting fruit bearing trees is also a great solution. I have also created watering holes. You can get water troughs and put them in ground. Put a stick in it for mice to crawl out. u can put them in areas where water will naturally drain into it

BSK

Because lime takes a while to completely activate in the soil, I would consider spreading some this spring. Elbon rye is a winter cereal grain hence it is planted in fall. It can grow 36-40" tall by the following spring. That's a lot of biomass to fall into the soil once it dies back in late spring or early summer.

Rye grass works (it too will grow anywhere), but it is not as preferred by deer as Elbon rye. When I first break ground on a new food plot, the soil takes a couple of years of working before it will grow what I really want. To help condition the soil, I usually plant Elbon rye for a couple of years. I've had very good results with the "Wintergrazer" variety.

ROFF

Some years back I had an elderly successful hunter tell me to fertilize naturally occurring plants, such as honeysuckle and greenbrier. Go out as far as the longest limbs or vine runners and dig down 6-8 inches and use triple 13 or other fertilizers to make the plants grow and the minerals from the fertilizers will transfer to the deer. Well, I don't know if that's true but I do know that I have harvested many deer, in deep woods, using that technique.

Latest posts