Watermelons

Dodge Man

How do you "Know" when they are ready?

I have grown / help grow them most of my life and have always guessed when they are ready.

Dose anybody know a for sure way to know they are ready?

This year I have 2 rows of watermelons. I have 3 different variety Sugar Babys, Charleston Gray, and the ones we have always grown Black Diamond.

TNDeerGuy

They way I have always picked them is if there is a yellow/whitish spot on the bottom where they lay on the dirt and if they sound "hollow" when thumped. This has never let me down, but I know others have some good methods as well.

Dodge Man

I picked a sugar baby today, they are suppose to be full grown at 8 inch in diameter, it was about 8 inches. It was heavy for it size, it sounded ripe with the thump test (or at least I thought so). It had a yellow colored spot on the bottom where it had been laying in the dirt.

I cut it and it was almost white all the way through, just a pale pink in the center. :(

Nimrod777

From what I heard, as advisement beyond pappy's old thumpin method, ripe melons will tend to take on a dustier look as opposed to the glossy finish of an unripe fruit.

The thump probably tells more about the water content than ripeness.

The brown stem... well, ripe or not, you may as well pick it, because it's not getting anything else from the root system!

TX300mag

I wait for the tendril to die and turn completely brown. Once the stem has a good brown spot where it goes into the melon, it lets loose easily and is ripe.

I'm still not 100% by any means, but it works well for me.

Paul Burns

Turn it over and there will usually be small black specks on the bottom of the melon when it is ripe also the tendril will be dead. Works for me.
My problem is the armadillos (sp) like to eat them when they get ripe. They will not bust a green one----now how do they know a ripe one from a almost ripe one????

Hammer

We grew watermelons for the first time this year. We had two that were huge one was 55lbs the other 52lbs. They were good.

dt-34715

Just out from the stem there is a small twirly piece of stem that comes out of the main stem. when it turns brown the melon is ready.

Paul Burns

Well last night the critters hit the watermelons again. Deer or armored possum (arnadillos)sp ; don't know but think the latter. After church tonight I heard three 22 shots and my nest door neighbor called and said he had just shot a armadillo dead. he lives closer to my garden than me. Hope that solved the problem but the melons are all pulled as of this morning.