watering strategy

Deck78

What are ya'll doing with all these record high temps and little to no moisture? I have had to increase the amount of water I am putting out as the maters are not real happy in this scorching heat. Prayin for rain!

catman529

I have not watered since plant-out in early May. The plants were doing just fine a couple days ago, before we left on our vacation. They should still be fine now.

Besides putting down woven weed fabric, my not watering them much has forced them to grow deeper roots so now they are getting more water underground that other plants are not.

The weed fabric has not worked well because there is no mulch on top. Light comes through the fabric and weeds push up under the fabric, so I had to do some hoeing, trimming, and laying down a bunch of rocks to keep the fabric on the ground.

But again, I have not had to water yet. I've asked one or two people at the community garden to watch the patch for me while we're gone, and water only if they need it. So far they have not needed it and look very healthy. It's the weeds and bugs (especially potato beetles) that are the concern.

Sako

I just watered for the first time this week.... plants were doing fine but with the weather, I just figured I would water.... I have weed cloth down and it seem to help

megalomaniac

Considering I've had a grand total of 3 inches of rain the past 3 months, I've been watering my garden more than I ever have. Combine no rain at all in the past 2 weeks with 10 straight days of 100 degree temps, and I'm already starting to lose my squash plants. Cucumbers look terrible, but the zucchini still looks great.

I've already picked purple hulled peas, usually get a second or third crop out of them, but the heat/ dry conditions have them looking really bad despite my watering.

Tomatoes are still faring pretty well despite the heat. I picked 40 or so Sun afternoon and another 20 today... many between baseball and softball sized.

Corn is also in, roasted several ears Sunday afternoon and I'm gonna pick heavy tomorrow and put some up.

We've had a decent breeze with the high temps, which has kept my chickens happy... got 15 eggs yesterday despite them walking around panting with their wings held out to dissipate heat. Unfortunately the breeze has dried out the ground even faster.

I'm actually starting to worry about losing some smaller trees such as dogwoods, etc if we don't get some serious rain the rest of this month.

WRbowhunter

Watered for the 2nd time last night. Everything is looking pretty good right now. Corn is about 2 feet high. Squash is looking good. Hope they make it this year. Squash bugs got them last year and had to pull up every plan. tried replanting but no luck. Mater's are looking good. Not as bushy as in years past but maybe they will take off soon.The only thing that does not look great are the cuccumbers.

FLIPPER

I agree with others...the less water you can get away with equals stronger roots and plants.

But...I have noticed alot of gardens the past few days that need some water.

Latest posts