Was it a coon hunt?

'borohunter

Out on Priest Saturday and heard a number of dogs and shots most of the day. Shots sounded like shotguns and I assumed squirrel or rabbit but then wondered if t could be coon hunters. Considering the turkey population I was hoping coon hunters. Perhaps the hunter(s) are on the forum but barring that is there anyway to know? I'm not a coon hunter so perhaps obvious to those that are. Maybe more of a hope than anything else.

Safari Hunt

Hard to say. There were the remains of a coon at the entrace of a local WMA. Looked like it had been shot in the head. Blood all over the mouth and ground.

Weegee

Makes sense and thought so but maybe more hope than reality. I've seen a lot of coons out there - may need to set a few traps and see what happens...
I've been wanted to start doing some trapping, but the only private land available to me is an hour and half away so not practical to check every day. If you trap public for coons, you gonna use DP's? I'd hate to catch someone's dog...

NewCoonTrapper

I have seen almost more coons than deer during deer season this year - made me concerned about next year's turkey hatch.
Wow, I am looking to start coon trapping and that's the area I wanted to try... Trapping is legal there? The regulations are hard to understand.... Are you speaking about unit 1 in Lavergne?

Weegee

Very difficult to tell, so I'll just ask: are you a bot?

1625691645960.png

Weegee

Not a bot just a newbie
Haha, my bad man. We've had issues with bots coming in and resurrecting old posts lately, so I kinda wondered. I spend a good bit of time at Unit 1 so if I can help out, let me know. I am interested in getting into trapping as well, but on public land that has dogs running all over it, about the only thing I'd feel comfortable using is DP traps.

Double L

I coon hunt and willing to help control population,just let me know where your talking about

NewCoonTrapper

Haha, my bad man. We've had issues with bots coming in and resurrecting old posts lately, so I kinda wondered. I spend a good bit of time at Unit 1 so if I can help out, let me know. I am interested in getting into trapping as well, but on public land that has dogs running all over it, about the only thing I'd feel comfortable using is DP traps.
That's my exact plan is to run some dp traps... as well as try my hand at calling some day time coons for some pellet gun action. I'm a novice hunter at best, just looking to get into the woods with my dogs. I know 0 from experience and have no hunt buddies close.. So youtube.. a few dps and my dog.. We will figure it out haha..

If you have anytips i would really appreciate it. I live 5 mins from the Lavergne entrance.. I just cant figure out if that area is open to explore/hunt or if it is only for field dog trials.

When I drive out there i get the feeling I am not supposed to be there lol

Weegee

That's my exact plan is to run some dp traps... as well as try my hand at calling some day time coons for some pellet gun action. I'm a novice hunter at best, just looking to get into the woods with my dogs. I know 0 from experience and have no hunt buddies close.. So youtube.. a few dps and my dog.. We will figure it out haha..

If you have anytips i would really appreciate it. I live 5 mins from the Lavergne entrance.. I just cant figure out if that area is open to explore/hunt or if it is only for field dog trials.

When I drive out there i get the feeling I am not supposed to be there lol
I was not aware that coons will respond to calls, but I've never hunted them. I am going to run a DP trap line myself after deer season closes, but not at Priest. Unit 1 is kinda weird. You CAN hunt it, you just have to be aware that for a large portion of the year it's closed on Fri, Sat, Sun for the field trials. Other than that it's a good small game hunting area.

NewCoonTrapper

I was not aware that coons will respond to calls, but I've never hunted them. I am going to run a DP trap line myself after deer season closes, but not at Priest. Unit 1 is kinda weird. You CAN hunt it, you just have to be aware that for a large portion of the year it's closed on Fri, Sat, Sun for the field trials. Other than that it's a good small game hunting area.
Nice! I am an avid fisherman and have fished all around priest, I am still confused as to what land is huntable around the lake.

Yep you can call them in almost like coyotes... It looks very cool (Youtube) I will probably hit unit 1 sounds like most people leave it alone outside of field dog trials. I also live very close, so i may be able to check it out during the week some.

I will keep you posted. Hopefully other small game is around as well.

I would LOVE to deer hunt. Im afraid Im probably too late to the game haha. I don't know where to start and I hear public land is not much more than wishful thinking for a newbie. haha

Weegee

Nice! I am an avid fisherman and have fished all around priest, I am still confused as to what land is huntable around the lake.

Yep you can call them in almost like coyotes... It looks very cool (Youtube) I will probably hit unit 1 sounds like most people leave it alone outside of field dog trials. I also live very close, so i may be able to check it out during the week some.

I will keep you posted. Hopefully other small game is around as well.

I would LOVE to deer hunt. Im afraid Im probably too late to the game haha. I don't know where to start and I hear public land is not much more than wishful thinking for a newbie. haha
Nah, it's not that bad. I've only been serious about it for a couple of years and I've taken some deer on public land. There is a pretty hardcore group of Unit 1 bow hunters. It isn't like the rest of priest, it's only got a 2 week muzzleloader season, then it goes back to archery only. I use the OnX maps app, it's great for knowing what's public, what's off limits, and marking areas of interest. You do have to pay for it, but if all you want is Tennessee it's not super expensive. Will your dog tree a squirrel?

NewCoonTrapper

Nah, it's not that bad. I've only been serious about it for a couple of years and I've taken some deer on public land. There is a pretty hardcore group of Unit 1 bow hunters. It isn't like the rest of priest, it's only got a 2 week muzzleloader season, then it goes back to archery only. I use the OnX maps app, it's great for knowing what's public, what's off limits, and marking areas of interest. You do have to pay for it, but if all you want is Tennessee it's not super expensive. Will your dog tree a squirrel?
Oh ok, thanks for that tip. I will check that app out.

And I don't think he will tree. He would for sure track and chase (with the hope to catch) but he doesn't have those skills. He's a catch dog(Dogo Argentino) , so he will have to be more of woods buddy considering the prey species available here.. That is unless coyotes are around.

Latest posts