Warning. Graphic.

bowhunterfanatic

Killed doe number two this morning. She came across a bean field about 30 minutes after daylight then slowly eased her way up the small hill to me. I tried every way possible to not kill her, but luckily after spooking off the first time she didn't really know what was going on and came back to investigate. I was better prepared the second time. Shot was around 22-23 yards, shooting a rage broadhead. She was quartering to me a decent amount, so I know that's a big part of why the entry hole was so big. I've never personally seen anything like it with an arrow. I'll let the picture do the rest of the talking.

bowhunterfanatic

Mechanically":1j3jkrqb said:
So, 22yd shot? I'm guessing .3 yard recovery?

She fell just out of sight. 45-50 yards maybe. There was so much blood I think I could've closed my eyes and crawled to her just by feeling all the blood on the ground.

Shed Hunter

How long before you got to her? It's quite clear that all of of that was not from your shot unless the arrow split in two and caused the second gash farther back in the deer

bowhunterfanatic

Shed Hunter":23nbs0ok said:
How long before you got to her? It's quite clear that all of of that was not from your shot unless the arrow split in two and caused the second gash farther back in the deer

Arrow didn't cause the second gash. But it was responsible for the massive entry wound. Had to be a perfect storm of quartering angle plus her moving at the exact right time further ripping her hide and increasing the size of the wound. She fell just out of site and I hunted for around another hour before retrieving her. While it is possible that an animal could've found her, it's highly unlike that a predator could've gotten to her without me seeing it. A coyote would've done much more damage to her, so I don't know what other animal might've messed with her.

Shed Hunter

bowhunterfanatic":2emtsb4x said:
Shed Hunter":2emtsb4x said:

Arrow didn't cause the second gash. But it was responsible for the massive entry wound. Had to be a perfect storm of quartering angle plus her moving at the exact right time further ripping her hide and increasing the size of the wound. She fell just out of site and I hunted for around another hour before retrieving her. While it is possible that an animal could've found her, it's highly unlike that a predator could've gotten to her without me seeing it. A coyote would've done much more damage to her, so I don't know what other animal might've messed with her.

That would be normal damage from a coyote considering it could've only been there for a few minutes.. I would suspect a buzzard or even crows though

ZachMarkus

I don't believe that is from your broad head alone. I think an animal or a buzzard got to her before you did. Congrats on the deer either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts