Wanting input on a Colorado, Montana or other Western state

Sharecropper

Elk and ??? combo hunt. I enjoyed my last 2 years with J Bar H Outfitters near Meeker Co., I just want to see some new territory. I really enjoy the horseback method, and would not do a high fence under any circumstance.
Looking for a referral with whom you or close family/friend has had multiple dealings with. I am looking for a guided hunt, using either tent or cabin. And much prefer not to go the nice lodge route, I can and have, I like plain old hunters over high brow shooters if that makes sense.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.
John in Germantown, Tn

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
Re: Wanting input on a Colorado, Montana or other Western st

I got a number to a great guy and guide out in Wyoming. He uses horse, no I never met or used him but he come highly recommended by a buddy.

If you want his name and number just pm me and I will give it to you, he also has a facebook.

Mackey

In 2006, I hunted in WY with Yellowstone Outfitters. 28 miles on a horse the first day got us back to their camp at Hawks Rest. My butt still hurts! It's at the very SE corner of Yellowstone NP. I saw elk every day and settled on a bull on the last. Lots of Grizzlys and wolves. It was a GREAT adventure. I think it's still a General tag so you could maybe draw it with no preference points. Better hurry though, applications have to be in by the end of this month. Call me if you want more info.

Mackey.... In Germantown too!
901-301-2924

AT Hiker

Mackey":cxf8gzxg said:
In 2006, I hunted in WY with Yellowstone Outfitters. 28 miles on a horse the first day got us back to their camp at Hawks Rest. My butt still hurts! It's at the very SE corner of Yellowstone NP. I saw elk every day and settled on a bull on the last. Lots of Grizzlys and wolves. It was a GREAT adventure. I think it's still a General tag so you could maybe draw it with no preference points. Better hurry though, applications have to be in by the end of this month. Call me if you want more info.

Mackey.... In Germantown too!
901-301-2924

This is in my bucket list. The Thorofare, the most remot place in the lower 48.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharecropper just curious i will be hunting with J-BAR-H this fall second rifle.Anything you can tell me about them and how did your hunts go. Thanks

AT Hiker

I like Remis articles in Western Hunter, seems like a legit down to earth dude.

Sharecropper

Thanks for all the input guys. Chestnut a few things

I've haven't hunted the 1st or 2nd season before, I have hunted the 3rd season several times.
Let me preface my statements below with this, I don't know your age, hunting history or abilities or your body condition.
So this is from my view from 54 yrs old, have a desk job, a country boy from Miss., I work out 3 day a week and live in Memphis(low country).
I don't know if you will be at a guided spike camp, DIY spike camp or at the main camp.
I was at the main camp, stayed in both cabin and a tent.
Be in shape or your trip will be miserable, your guide can only work as hard as your abilities allow. It's 2-1 hunters to guide ratio, so your partners shape will also dictate where you hunt, how you hunt and can literally ruin what you are capable of doing on your own. If you start working out today, and work out 4 days a week, I mean a real workout. You will still be exhausted the first day and dead tired by weeks end. I using a elevation mask this year while working out and running to see if it will help.
You will be on a horse at 4:30 in the morning going up a mountain, usually takes 1 1/2 to 3 hours to get where you're going to hunt.(there are 2 public camp sites right by her main camp and you have to go further and higher then the 90% of campers who walk! the other 10% have horses. No motorized vehicle allowed) In 3rd season the trails are frozen in the morning, and muddy and messy coming down at night. Not once have we ever gotten back to camp in daylight.
Tell them the truth about your horse ability, many people get hurt every year some bad, they will match your ability to your horse. These are real stock horses they rent from Sombrero, no mules just horses, these horses test you everyday as to who's the boss you or them. It's much easier going up a mountain than down a mountain, my knees ached bad coming down, my partner this year couldn't handle the knee pain and literally stopped using horse 1st day and walked from camp every morning. He never saw another elk all week.
You will eat like a king breakfast and supper in mess tent. You pack your lunch from their offering.
Hydration is super important, main camp is at 9000 I think and you go as high as 10-11,000 ft.
They have 3 out houses for toilet. One hot shower for the camp, I usually took 2 per week.
Beg for Tom to be your guide, he is incredible and works his ass off.
Typical day:
Your own alarm wake you at 4-4:15, you will get on horse at 4:30-4:45.(you load your b/pack the night before). Your horse will have saddle bags, and a scabbard. If you have the raised caps on your scope, good luck. You may be using muzzle loader in 2nd season.
You ride on trail in dark up the mountain, many parts in "dark timber" , western pine is what they are. And your horse wants to get as close to them as they can for the good footing.( scrapped knees and lose you hat if you're not careful)
First and last light are best time in 3rd season to see elk on their feet, unless they've been jumped. Midday you are trying to find them in their beds.
Their definition of a good shot is 250-300 yds, practice using a shooting stick. I missed several at 450-500, I just can't shoot that far with any consistently.
If you draw blood and can't find animal, your hunt is over. Unless you 2 tags( bull so OTC, cow is draw) Jeanee (Jean-ee) will be happy to put you in the draw.
You get back to camp after dark, everyone eats together.
Sleep like a baby, then repeat. If you make a kill, the guide will quarter out your elk, put the meat in bags and hang it up. The packers will come in the night and get game. By the way, they use the gutless method, I had never seen it done.
Tipping, tip your guide $500 if you make a kill, $300 if you don't.
Cook you tip $100
Packers you tip $25-50, they will split it up.
Tip in cash.
They will get your meat,hide if you want it and horns to the processor. They will give you a sheet you fill out telling the processor how you want you meat processed. Processor has a 24 hour turn around on meat, you pay processor when you pick up on way home. Take coolers to put meat in, be sure and choose the shrink wrap option for $25 it's well worth it, they will give you dry ice. I killed bull last day and they had to ship it UPS, had processor euro mount horns(separate cost) it only cost $250 and got them back in 2 weeks.
They use Brothers Packing Comp. And they are good. I killed cow 2nd day and got to bring it home.
If you are driving, we drove to Salina, KS 1st day got hotel, drove to Steamboat next day got hotel. Got up and went to range in Craig to check guns(no range at camp), got to camp at noon and settled in.
Very good atmosphere at camp, no drunks limited language and all the camp staff are fabulous.
She has a pretty good pond at her camp for lake trout to. She has rods.
Hope this is useful, and remember to beg for Tom.
Good luck.
John

John thanks for your reply. I hunted wyoming last year a six day wilderness hunt,rode in 8or 9 milesto our camp. First day was cold an we heard 3 or 4 bulls by lunch it was 70 degrees. That with the full moon and the elk didnt move except @ daylight an sunset.Didnt get a bull but had a great time.My goal is to elk hunt somewhere every year will start building points in wyoming this year for one of the better units in a few years while hunting colorado or maybe new mexico if i can draw a tag.I agree with the being in shape it will make or break your hunt.We had a couple guys who only hunted every other day. I am 51 didnt have any problems keeping up with my 25 year old guide. That said i work out 4 or 5 days a week lots of running long and i compete in a couple sprint triathlons every year.Really like miss jean an read a lot of good things about her.If it goes well might try a drop camp with her in the furture.Dont have much experience elk hunting but have done a lot of research on states an outfitters got the fever pretty bad. If i can help let me know. Thanks again for the info

AT Hiker

Just got this info from Huntin Fool.

"Our outfitter here offers two different
and distinct hunts for elk in western Colorado, with the first being trophy elk in Colorado's famed unit 61. Hunters will have excellent chances of taking 320-360" bulls, with the potential for something better. If you have a lot of Colorado preference points, this is ce
rtainly a hunt to consider, otherwise we will be able to put you in touch with landowners on this unit where a voucher can be obtained from them.

Unit 61:
Archery, 6 days, 2x1 - $3,750 or 1x1 - $4,750
Muzzleloader, 6 days, 2x1 - $4,000 or 1x1 - $5,000
Rifle, 5 days, 2x1 - $4,000 or 1x1 $5,000
Rifle, 7 days, 2x1 - $4,750 or 1x1 - $5,750
Voucher prices vary from $4,000 to $6,000 on average, based on season/weapon type.

This outfitter is offering over-the-counter hunts and hunts that take only 0-1 point to draw a tag. This is not a trophy elk hunt, but one in which success if fairly high, and doing this hunt with your buddies can be a blast. Traditional base camps are utilized, making this a class Colorado elk hunt without breaking the bank.

Unit 62:
Over-the-counter elk is 2nd/3rd rifle season only
1st season - 1 point to draw
4th season - 0 points to draw
4 hunters per season

2016 Prices:
5-day rifle, 2x1 - $3,750
7-day rifle, 2x1 - $4,250"

Sharecropper

Poser, I hear you on the price, however..there are many

items you are over looking when you state your example of "cooking eggs and bacon".
I also include these as extremely important if not vitally important to a successful hunt to those living outside the west.
1) knowing the area intimately where you and/or your group are going to be hunting, the reason this is so important to me is because of the weather. The areas you are hunting out west are huge, the game is already under hunting pressure and you need to know where their hideouts are, then you throw in the changing weather of the 2nd and 3rd season and the hideouts change according to the weather. Now I live in the Memphis metro area, how can I possibly know within reason of where those elk are going to be? Truth be told, these guides not only have forgotten more than I will ever know about their area of expertise, they are in either up there all year living and work in the area, therefore they can talk to the sheep herders that are grazing sheep all summer in the high elevation and get invaluable info.
2) They can read the weather, if you hunt out west most likely you will be in a true wilderness area. I grew up in the woods down south and I could care less what weather came in I knew what to do and where to go. In the mountains it is no joking matter, you can die in many different ways. I've worked to dang hard to die now just having fun.LOL
3) I do not want to have to cut firewood everyday, I don't want to have to cook 3 times a day. I don't want to feed the horses 3 times a day. When I go hunting out west we usually get up at 4:30 and get back 6-7:00 at night, if I had to add those other chores to my body I would be dead by day 3. There is a reason there is such a big staff at camp, it's a lot of work. I forgot about drying clothes every night.
4) I've had to pack out elk before, I would rather give Obama 4 more years than have to do that again. 5 trips from 11,000ft to 8,000ft carrying 100 lbs in the dark in unfamiliar territory. I swear I saw a cougar behind every rock. LOL

I easily admit I use to feel just like you, and did it that way. No more, and I don't feel bad about it one bit. That's a young man with time on his hands method, or a big group that's all on the same page method.
Not arguing with you, just saying you can see it in more than one angle.

AT Hiker

Speaking for myself, but I know exactly what your talking about. I feel the price is very fair for an outfitted hunt, especially if its a wilderness horse back type of hunt. I simply do not have the time, money or experience to have stock.

Plus, if your time is limited you want to maximize your "time out West" and a outfitter does just that.

But the phrase "not breaking the bank" is more of the point IMO.

Sharecropper

I understand AT and Poser.
I wish I had the time for DIY, they are a lot of fun and very self fulfilling.
I would really like to do a cougar DIY.
AT, a company called Sombrero rents horses all over the west. It may be worth looking into, they will rent by the day all the way to a month at a time. They do have strict guidelines on what you have to feed them and how often. But for a day to get a animal packed out a lot of people use them.

AT Hiker

For the record, Im going on an outfitted hunt into the WY Thorofare sometime in the future. Legally its one of two ways for me to get in there, more importantly its the "safest" way for me to get in there and actually get to hunt elk or deer without all the other DIY worries...or maybe a wolf of things change.

Unless I get a wild hair and decide to just start hiking during the warmer months and see how far I can get. Anyone want to backpack into the most remote place in the lower 48?

Crosshairy

Poser":wgbhensw said:
Good points, Sharecropper and all very true. My personal philosophy is that I can do these trips DIY for about $100 a day (vs $1500 a day). On that budget, I can afford the DIY learning curve. I could go elk hunting DIY for 5-10 years on what a person spends on 1 outfitted hunt. That's just my personal philosophy. If you have the money to spend on an outfitted hunt, by all means... I just don't foresee being about to come up with that kind of money for a 5-7 day hunting trip anytime soon.

I suppose that my point was that these hunts are very expensive. However, as you pointed out, it's all a matter of perspective. I do know for sure that if I were spending $1500 a day, I would dang sure show up in sufficient shape to hunt every minute of every available day. On a side note, my mind just can't stop wondering what I would do if I actually had an $8,000 budget to do a hunting trip. [emoji857]

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

not to stir the pot, but if you had that kind of money to spend on a trip, would you go to Alaska or something? For me personally, I only get excited to the point of being willing to spend big bucks on a hunt when I get a combination of great adventure AND great amounts of tasty animal meat. That's why Dall sheep (for example) never seemed that appealing. I've always heard they weren't that great as table-fare. Elk, maybe moose, mulies, off-shore fishing trips for tuna or something...that all sounds great. If it's going to cost a lot of time/effort/money, I want to be able to have a freezer full of something for my effort :). I'm not going to drive all the way to Colorado and hike around in the Rockies to hunt grouse, for example, unless I've already checked a bunch of other trips off my list.

You and your hunting buddies are in great shape and have like-minded goals. In my opinion, that is even MORE important than the financial backing of a big bank account for most types of trips, because a group of people in unison with research can always execute a plan on their own without outside help. I could get into great shape and get ready for a DIY hunt, but the folks I normally hunt with would be unable to go with me due to physical limitations (and they are not very motivated). That's why I've started planning the "drop big bucks on a hunt" approach, and just plan on going less often. That's the irony I have been discovering - a part of what you pay for is the ability to go without depending on your own friends/acquaintances for help...Hah!

Sharecropper

Crosshairy and Poser

Everybody has a opinion , I've had my adventures in Alaska and Canada years ago DIY. No more dancing with bears for me, the scariest situation I've ever been in. I've luckily lasted 55 years following my dreams. I whole hardly agree with Hairy on the adventure AND meat thought process. Smelling bear breath at night changed my thought process 17 years ago.
Best of luck, I've used all the luck I want to risk. Bank accounts have zero to do with my decision, the wilderness experience is something I hope every hunter gets to experience. But truth is, it's a serious under taking when you weren't born and raised by someone who knows the rules and risk.
Best of luck to you both, we seem to have the same call of the wild.
I can tell you this about a American Bison, there isn't much to killing one when you find the herd, and it's not hard to find the herd. They are tough to bring down sometimes, but you will have enough meat for a long time and it's incredibly lean.
The least satisfying big game hunt for me, I do like the skull.

Mackey

AT Hiker, This summer (in August) I'd like to take a boat shuttle from the Yellowstone Lake marina to where the Yellowstone River enters Yellowstone Lake Then backpack into the Thorofare from there. I'd say at least 7 days in the backcountry. It may be the best way to get into the Thorofare without horses....... We almost did it this past summer but opted to go up Slough Creek instead. Fishing and scenery should be spectacular. PM me if you're interested.

Mackey

AT Hiker

Mackey":2kc30eml said:
AT Hiker, This summer (in August) I'd like to take a boat shuttle from the Yellowstone Lake marina to where the Yellowstone River enters Yellowstone Lake Then backpack into the Thorofare from there. I'd say at least 7 days in the backcountry. It may be the best way to get into the Thorofare without horses....... We almost did it this past summer but opted to go up Slough Creek instead. Fishing and scenery should be spectacular. PM me if you're interested.

Mackey

Hmmm. Depending on what, and if any, tags I draw I might consider this. My wife would kill me, Im better off cheating on her than going to YNP without her but it sounds fun.

I will pm you later on, thanks.