Vortex Diamondback Eye relief

CHRIS WILSON

Picked up a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 not long ago for my CVA Scout V2. My other rifles have either Nikon or Redfield optics but since Nikon is getting out of the rifle scope business, I wanted to give Vortex a try. I really do like the glass and Vortex's MOA BDC reticle. I mounted it using the Durasight base that came with the Scout and could not get the scope mounted far enough back for a decent field of view. Ended up having to order a Pic rail that extended a little further back and partially overlapped the receiver on the Scout. I couldn't believe how far back I ended up having to mount that Vortex. This is my first Vortex scope and I'm just wondering is this common for the brand to have such short eye relief? The specifications online list the eye relief at 3.1" for that model. Didn't realize it was that short.

fairchaser

I have several vortex scopes and they are mounted further back but I hadn't really thought about the eye relief being further back than other scopes. I guess as long as you can get it where you like it, the other features and quality make up for it. I really like their glass.

GMB54

Yep, none of the regular Diamond backs have a nice eye relief. You will need a Diamondback HP 3x12x42 if you want around 4". Sportsmans Warehouse might still have a few for $200. They have better glass than standard Diamondbacks also.

The other option are the DiamondBack Tacticals. They cost more but glass is no better than a HP.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-dia ... scope.html

CHRIS WILSON

For what I paid for it, I'm happy enough with the glass and it'll be very serviceable. Though I will say that the Redfields I have do seem to be a bit better...at least to my eyes. I was just surprised at the by the short eye relief and didn't know if it was common for Vortex optics. I actually looked at the HP model but none of the vendors had them in stock when I was looking.

DaveB

we have two Tacticals and the eye relief is as stated in the thread.

My Sons tell me the glass is at least as good as our Leupold VXIII 3.5x10.

Pinwheeled

I hate the Diamondbacks for that reason. The cheaper crossfire and the more expensive vipers are both far better for eye relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHRIS WILSON

Pinwheeled":2gwfzmki said:
I hate the Diamondbacks for that reason. The cheaper crossfire and the more expensive vipers are both far better for eye relief.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I buy another Vortex, I'll have a look at the Viper series. I got a great deal on this scope and I'm happy with it overall. Just had to swap out the standard mount/base with one that would allow more room to adjust for the lack of eye relief. The rifle is chambered in a caliber that is fairly low recoil, so I'm not concerned with getting popped by the scope while shooting. Not sure I'd want it mounted that far back if I was shooting a 45-70.

Attachments

• scout.jpg
    scout.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 618

GMB54

Watch for sales at MidwayUSA. Occasionally they have a Viper HS 2.5x10x44 for around $250. ATM its the 4x16 model on sale for $299. The HS have the longer eye relief. Not all Vipers are longer eye relief. HS=hunter/shooter.

2.5x10x44
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020461155?pid=439467

4x16x44 on sale now
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020880099?pid=183809

Ive got the 3x12x42 DB HP and its really nice for a $200 scope. Knowing what i know now though i should have spent the extra $50 on the Viper HS. Lot more choices in rings when you go upto 30mm.

Latest posts