Vols & Vandy

Displaced_Vol

I missed most of the first but stayed up late to watch the end of first and all second half. Much better second half from the Vols. Credit to Vandy they found themselves some good looks and hit shots, especially in the first half.
Not the prettiest game on either end of the floor but a pretty typical SEC game, especially against Vandy.
Without looking at the box score I remember Santi played well. JJJ got some run last night, not sure what his final minute count was but he played a good amount of the 2nd half. Olivier played well offensively, not perfect like he had played the last 2 games & don't remember rebounds for him. Enough guys did enough to win.

Spurhunter

JJJ got some run last night, not sure what his final minute count was but he played a good amount of the 2nd half.
Looks like JJJ scored 7 points in 16 minutes. Maybe he's trying to knock the rust off, but it appears to me he's taking and missing too many 3s. 1-7 last night. Santi, however, seems to get better and better. Phillips is already a beast as a true freshman. Plavsic seems to be playing with a much more level head since Coach called him out on his antics. ZZ is the same day in and day out. I like this team much better than I did a couple weeks ago when Plavsic was acting a fool and JJJ wasn't playing, but they have a ways to go if they want to make a run. It seems like the same Tennessee team we have every year, good with the potential to be great, but don't seem to get there. I'm not complaining, but it would be nice to see a deep run in March.

PalsPal

One of the key plays occurred early in the 2nd half.

Vandy guy was on a fast break, one of our guys comes flying in, the Vandy guy slows, our guy grabs the rim and swings from it for a pause, he let's go, the rim and backboard are shaking, the guy misses the layup .... no goal tending called :eek: !

They ended up not scoring and I think we hit a 3 on the other end.

Now I know how Ky fans felt when the Rupperees would do that at Rupp. No way to honestly say it wasn't goal tending. Oh well, it's better to receive those than have to take them.

Spurhunter

One of the key plays occurred early in the 2nd half.

Vandy guy was on a fast break, one of our guys comes flying in, the Vandy guy slows, our guy grabs the rim and swings from it for a pause, he let's go, the rim and backboard are shaking, the guy misses the layup .... no goal tending called :eek: !

They ended up not scoring and I think we hit a 3 on the other end.

Now I know how Ky fans felt when the Rupperees would do that at Rupp. No way to honestly say it wasn't goal tending. Oh well, it's better to receive those than have to take them.
I think the right call would've been basket interference. Basket interference specifically mentions touching the rim. I also think goal tending requires the player to contact the ball, which in this case didn't happen. Either way, something should've been called.

Spurhunter

Is it just me or does Stackhouse spend way too much time arguing with the officials and complaining over calls that are blatantly obvious? I'm sure the guy can coach, but it seems he spends all his energy focusing on the referees.

Displaced_Vol

Looks like JJJ scored 7 points in 16 minutes. Maybe he's trying to knock the rust off, but it appears to me he's taking and missing too many 3s. 1-7 last night. Santi, however, seems to get better and better. Phillips is already a beast as a true freshman. Plavsic seems to be playing with a much more level head since Coach called him out on his antics. ZZ is the same day in and day out. I like this team much better than I did a couple weeks ago when Plavsic was acting a fool and JJJ wasn't playing, but they have a ways to go if they want to make a run. It seems like the same Tennessee team we have every year, good with the potential to be great, but don't seem to get there. I'm not complaining, but it would be nice to see a deep run in March.
Yeah I think JJJ is still getting comfortable with the knee. I don't remember him forcing anything so I'm not too upset with him shooting like that, got to get back in game shape.
Honestly I don't think it was one of ZZs best games from an offensive stand point but the best thing about him is 110% all the damn time. He doesn't seem to let anything affect his effort especially on the defensive end.
Santi is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

I agree things are looking up, but it's kind of like Brent Hubbs used to say about us beating Florida: I've gotta see it to believe it. Apply that in terms of us making any significant headway in the tournament, I'm talking sweet 16 minimum or Elite 8. Maybe that's a knock on CRB but I don't intend it to be, I am tickled to death he's our coach but frankly I'll believe we can make a deep tourney run when I see it…

Latest posts