Vols / Vandy

THEdonkey0515

I think the vols was 10pt favorites

This team don't deserve a top 10 ranking or a 2seed. Fully expect Bama and KY at Rupp to whoop the vols in up coming games.

It's weird to call a team bad disappointing when they was ranked #2 a week ago. But with losses to Unranked teams like Colorado, UF, Vandy & KY. With all the returning talent this team had I think it's been Barnes worst year in Knoxville. It's gonna be a round of 32 appearance, and done this year again I believe.

JCDEERMAN

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

GO DORES!!!

PalsPal

Was sitting in Memphis eating dinner and get an alert on my phone that Vandy beat the Vols by 1 on a buzzer beater 3-pointer. WTH happened? Anybody see it?

I'll give clift notes of the last 20 seconds or so.

We're up 2 with the ball. Vandy only has 3 fouls. So, we inbound, they foul. We inbound again, and they foul again. I think on the next one, we're throwing it in just beyond half court, and it's down to 10 seconds or so. Phillips breaks clear toward the basket, gets the pass, has an easy dunk that would've put us up 4. He dribbles right past the basket to pull it out again, and they foul again. Stupid mistake.

On the next throw in under the basket, it's almost a 5 second count but Barnes gets a timeout. Then, the next one Vescovi gets it and fouled. 1 and 1, misses. Vandy races to front court and calls timeout with maybe 4 seconds left. They draw up a play, guy gets it going to basket for the tie, draws our guys, he kicks to corner for wide open 3, which he releases just before the buzzer. Swish for the win!

For whatever reason, we just can't score. Some think Vescovi is still hurt. James just disappears at times (he also tweaked his ankle pretty good at the end). Phillips looks afraid to turn it on. Key lacks confidence in his shot (was a great scorer before he transferred). Our bigs are inconsistent.

This team is so dysfunctional. They could literally be put out first weekend, or get to the final four .

Dang, I wrote a book. So much for Clift notes.

Mescalero

We're up 2 with the ball. Vandy only has 3 fouls. So, we inbound, they foul. We inbound again, and they foul again. I think on the next one, we're throwing it in just beyond half court, and it's down to 10 seconds or so. Phillips breaks clear toward the basket, gets the pass, has an easy dunk that would've put us up 4. He dribbles right past the basket to pull it out again, and they foul again. Stupid mistake.

On the next throw in under the basket, it's almost a 5 second count but Barnes gets a timeout. Then, the next one Vescovi gets it and fouled. 1 and 1, misses. Vandy races to front court and calls timeout with maybe 4 seconds left. They draw up a play, guy gets it going to basket for the tie, draws our guys, he kicks to corner for wide open 3, which he releases just before the buzzer. Swish for the win!

For whatever reason, we just can't score. Some think Vescovi is still hurt. James just disappears at times (he also tweaked his ankle pretty good at the end). Phillips looks afraid to turn it on. Key lacks confidence in his shot (was a great scorer before he transferred). Our bigs are inconsistent.

This team is so dysfunctional. They could literally be put out first weekend, or get to the final four .

"Dysfunctional"? Watch my men's bball team if you want to see dysfunctional. No, on second thought, if you want to see horrible.

JCDEERMAN

UT is a very good team. They're just very inconsistent. When they are playing well, they're almost unbeatable. I'm just glad we were fortunate enough to catch them on an "off" night. When UT has things clicking, man they look good

scn

There are certain rivalry games where the records can just be thrown out the window. TN/Vandy at Memorial has ALWAYS been one of those games. The gym there is just weird enough that it gives Vandy a major home court advantage.

This was exactly the type of game I expected. Even though Vandy doesn't have a great record, they have played a lot of teams very close. They are better than what their record shows. I can't say the same about the Vols at this point. IMO, they are a top 20 team that is capable of winning or losing on ANY given night.

Congratulations to Vandy for a well played game!

7mm08

Congrats to Coach Stackhouse. I was a big Carolina fan for many years. He was a competitor and exciting to watch.

As for Vandy….. screw the woke rich kids!

Gravey

Thanks for the write-up. I read something this morning before leaving the hotel that was identical to what you wrote.
There are certain rivalry games where the records can just be thrown out the window. TN/Vandy at Memorial has ALWAYS been one of those games. The gym there is just weird enough that it gives Vandy a major home court advantage.

This was exactly the type of game I expected. Even though Vandy doesn't have a great record, they have played a lot of teams very close. They are better than what their record shows. I can't say the same about the Vols at this point. IMO, they are a top 20 team that is capable of winning or losing on ANY given night.

Congratulations to Vandy for a well played game!
There was an article in The Tennessean this week about Memorial Magic and how it was gone these days. Apparently there's a little left.

Displaced_Vol

👆That's spot on. Dead nuts.

My additional aggregated ramblings:
I think vescovi is hurt, I think he re-injured that shoulder in the UK game when he got steam rolled early in the 1st half.

They've figured out they can run our guards 3' off the 3 point line because we can't score inside. Either from the post or drives to the basket. Olivier has a dynamite game once a month. nobody can penetrate and finish at the rim, or draw a foul.
Z is the closest thing to an alpha we have on the team but 1) he's a little too streaky still and 2) he's 5'2…

Spurhunter

I think the vols was 10pt favorites

This team don't deserve a top 10 ranking or a 2seed. Fully expect Bama and KY at Rupp to whoop the vols in up coming games.

It's weird to call a team bad disappointing when they was ranked #2 a week ago. But with losses to Unranked teams like Colorado, UF, Vandy & KY. With all the returning talent this team had I think it's been Barnes worst year in Knoxville. It's gonna be a round of 32 appearance, and done this year again I believe.
I don't want to agree with you but I'm afraid you're right.

wayne

Vescovi has had 3 bad games in a row. Something is definitely up with him.
I have no clue what Phillips was doing/ thinking. That was a game losing play. The only thing that could take some heat off of Phillips is that Barnes was coaching to run out the clock. And i hate that type of coaching.

PalsPal

👆That's spot on. Dead nuts.

My additional aggregated ramblings:
I think vescovi is hurt, I think he re-injured that shoulder in the UK game when he got steam rolled early in the 1st half.

They've figured out they can run our guards 3' off the 3 point line because we can't score inside. Either from the post or drives to the basket. Olivier has a dynamite game once a month. nobody can penetrate and finish at the rim, or draw a foul.
Z is the closest thing to an alpha we have on the team but 1) he's a little too streaky still and 2) he's 5'2…

It's amazing that he can do what he does on the court. I think his streakiness comes from who is guarding him. He has to be able to have a little more space to get a shot off, and if the defender is close to his quickness, he's not going to get many uncontested looks.

We came out in the Auburn game, and it looked like Barnes intent was pounding the post, which I love. But Olivier just could not throw it in the ocean. Maybe he felt the pressure. So, they abandoned that plan.

I would like to see the offense going forward to center on Phillips. He has the tools, and maybe it could get his confidence up, and he develop a killer instinct.

Oh well, we ride with what we have. I'm sure there will be more frustrating games, in fact all of them may be!

Latest posts