Velvet antler hunt prep

double browtine

Before the August buck hunt, we all need you taxidermist guys to give us some pointers on how we need to care for our trophy buck, if we are lucky enough to put the smack down on a wall hanger!

I'm just wondering if the taxidermists in TN, who aren't used to dealing with velvet antlers, will be ready to handle the amount of deer heads that might come to them that weekend.

Jmed

Ive got a velvet on the wall. From KY 3 years ago. My taxidermist told me to get him caped and cold as soon as possible. Killed him at sunset, caped him and put the cape/ horns in a HD gabage bag in a large tote. Packed ice all around the bag ( he said its important not to get the velvet or cape wet), by sunrise I was headed home and had the cape in my deep freeze by lunch. mount turned out perfect! So my advice; be careful with the velvet, it is fragile! dont get it wet. keep it cool as possible and get it to the taxidermist quickly. Ive hunted KY for several years and have killed and been along for several of my buddies and I can not stress how important it is to get your meat cooled of as quickly as possible. Meat goes bad quick in those temps! Also, it goes without saying. nothing carries more chiggers and ticks than a velvet buck. as soon as he begins cooling off those suckers will be on the hunt for some warm blood!! Good luck to all!

AT Hiker

First thing I would do is call your taxidermist; make sure they will do them, what the cost is and how they want you to handle them.

My thoughts are;
-treat the velvet antlers like they are a nuclear bomb, be very careful with them, dont grab them and drag (game cart or tarp if you cannot get a truck/quad to it).
-get it skinned out asap (tube the skin all the way up the neck to the base of the skull, ask your taxidermist about cuts around the legs, etc). Skinning it up to the base of the neck will allow more room in the freezer and the cape will thaw quicker and lessen the chance of anything going wrong. Besieds, neck roast briased in coconut milk is delicious.
-Clean up any blood on the mount and be very careful skinning. Cuts on a short haired summer deer are a lot harder to fix vs a fluffy winter coat
-Get to your taxidermist pronto or
-Use heavy duty trash bags to freeze, this will prevent the velvet from sticking to the freezer
- as already mentioned watch for ticks, they will be crawling all over the place

Latest posts