Preserving Velvet

DWB

I have a deer in the freezer. It's been in there a year hide off and horns exposed. What is the best way to preserve it and bug proof it from here?

AT Hiker

You've basically been freeze drying already, especially if you have a newer freezer that sucks the humidity out of the air.
Velvet loc is getting good reviews from some people, might be worth looking into it.

Me, freeze dry if money is no issue or a full blown chemical treatment if your trying to keep cost down and quality up.

JCDEERMAN

You've basically been freeze drying already, especially if you have a newer freezer that sucks the humidity out of the air.
Velvet loc is getting good reviews from some people, might be worth looking into it.

Me, freeze dry if money is no issue or a full blown chemical treatment if your trying to keep cost down and quality up.
Hey AT, this reminds me. I looked in to the Velvet Loc when we discussed a while back and I definitely think it would do the trick. Just couldn't find a whole lot of info on it, YT clips, etc....I went with the product in the below link. It's called Antler in Velvet Tan. Have you ever used it? Know anything about it? Just came in the mail and I haven't used it yet.

Also posting the instructions below specific to the OP's frozen velvet

How To Use Antler in Velvet Tan
This is a fast acting tanning solution specifically designed to set and tan velvet on antlers. Note: (Very important) If antlers are frozen, make sure to thaw out completely before proceeding. If skin is dried to antler, skip steps #1 and #2 and wet velvet with water before applying Antler in Velvet Tan.
DIRECTIONS:
  1. If horns are soft, puncture the tips of the antlers with a large needle.​
  2. Inject Antler in Velvet Tan in vein channels around base of horn. Keep injecting until all the blood is completely pumped out of the tips and clear fluid is visible.​
  3. Paint on a heavy coat of Antler in Velvet Tan and hang to dry for 4 days. Then rinse off residue in cool water and hang until dry. The velvet can be fluffed with a hair dryer or air compressor and soft brush.​

Buzzard Breath

This is my coues deer that spent just over a year in the chest freezer. I never did another thing to the antlers. They were freeze dried when I pulled them out. I also never finished the skull where I reattached the antlers, but that's irrelevant to the original question.
20210813_152237.jpg

AT Hiker

@JCDEERMAN Im not familiar with that product but a sure fire way to "set" the velvet would be to use something that is a strong pickle. Like formic acid or even alcohol that would dry it out.

Do you know what the ingredients are?

DWB

Ok thanks what would be a full blown chemical treatment ?

AT Hiker

Ok thanks what would be a full blown chemical treatment ?
A strong pickle agent, like formic acid and a well known tanning agent like alum. Then neutralized with sodium bicarbonate.

Those are chemicals I would look for on a label. Denatured alcohol would suffice as well but in my mind it's simply just "drying" out the velvet, which depending on the stage of development that might be all that's needed. If it's "veiny" you could inject whatever into the veins to flush the books and fluids out.

I can make things complicated sometimes but I also charge people to preserve the velvet so I want it done the best way possible. Leaving it open in the freezer like buzzard did will most likely be sufficient. I'd take an extra step and treat it with puffed borax and keep a eye out for bugs.
Keep in mind though Buzzard killed a Coues deer in a dry and arid environment unlike our humidity here which just invited bacteria.

I once found a velvet antler peice off a buck in KS one year turkey hunting. Probably a year old when I found it but it still looks the same. I'd guess it was probably a late August deer that died somehow because the antler was fully developed and the velvet was dry.
I also killed a mule deer buck in MT once in late Oct that had velvet hanging off his back forks. Even after I did a quick boil and hosed off his skull out there his velvet still looks like it did when I killed him.
It all depends on the stage of development in these cases.

DWB

Ok. Thanks I looked into the velvet lok. It seems pretty straight forward. I need simple when it comes to this. Lol I worry I'll mess it up

Latest posts