Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowwolfe

On our property we have about a one acre lake. Both the wife and I like turtles so we thought about introducing some.
I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about the critters so am looking for advice.
Good idea? Is it legal?
If it is a good idea what type of turtles should be get and how many? Will they hurt the fish population?

in the dog house

Im no expert......... If you have a lake that has been there very long you already have turtles. They will hurt your fish population if there gets to be to many turtles. Sliders and snappers will find there way to your pond. They can smell water from a long distance and will get in your pond.

mike243

Shoot or snag any that treaspass lol.they dig holes & drain ponds fyi.don't think shooting is legal but they are not something a pond owner wants

choupique

mike243 said:
Shoot or snag any that treaspass lol.they dig holes & drain ponds fyi.don't think shooting is legal but they are not something a pond owner wants

The only digging they'll do is shallow pits for nesting females, don't blame leaky ponds on turtles. As for eating up all your fish, that's a myth too. Some of the best ponds I've ever fished have had loads of turtles.

rem270

choupique said:
mike243 said:

The only digging they'll do is shallow pits for nesting females, don't blame leaky ponds on turtles. As for eating up all your fish, that's a myth too. Some of the best ponds I've ever fished have had loads of turtles.

All ponds have loads of turtles and they eat alot of the fish. It's not a myth. Had a snapper eat a stringer full of crappie one time. Had about 15 on there and had 3 left before i found out he was eating them.

choupique

Eating fish off a stringer isn't the same as catching free-ranging fish. Unless there's something else dramatically wrong with your pond (lack of spawning habitat) even a few snappers aren't going to hurt the fish population.

Status
Not open for further replies.