Turkeys in my new food plots!

7mm08

New to the forum and new to food plots and looking for some help.

I did 4 small plots on about 100 acres for this fall. My best plot(killed, tilled, etc) is now infested with turkeys.. Previously we had seen very few over the past 2-3years. I planted several weeks ago when we were supposed to have rain...NO RAIN. I had wheat, buckwheat, austrian peas, and durana clover. The turkeys moved and have literally plowed my plot, made dusting areas, and have truly enjoyed themselves at my $$$$. Nothing has come up..but, no rain until the other day. I hope the clover seeds are too small for the birds.

How long does it take with adequate rain for clover to germinate, and come up? Should I plant again and hope the turkeys move on? Too bad Knox Co does not have a fall turkey season or it would be payback time? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

deerchaser007

You will not see much of that durana this fall. It will spend almost all fall establishing a root system. BUT,.. in the spring,.. she wil take off!!

The turkey and other birds probably didn't have much effect on the clover seed,... but i bet they tore your other seed (wheat,peas,buckwheat) totally to shreads. Especially if you did not drag it or cultipack it under the soil. Especially in several weeks time. On my farm,.. it only takes about a week for them to destroy a planting if i don't get rain.

SO,.. you might have to resow some wheat.

7mm08

Thanks Deerchaser,
I went by today and the Durana is just popping out but it looks like it is coming up good. I did not have a cultipacker. I did them all by tiller and rakes, and blisters. All small plots with the biggest 20x30 yards. I will take your advice, give it a week to see where my weak spots are in the clover and then reseed those areas with wheat, (maybe some oats?, and I don't think it is too late for austrian peas), and hopefully within 24hours of definate rain. I did throw out some turnip seeds before the rain, thinking those turkeys couldn't see those so maybe they will come up soon. Live and learn.

BTW.. I took TWRA's advice and put up a small 3x3x3 fence to see what grows and the wheat is coming up in there, BUT nowhere else!

Thanks again and good luck this season.

7mm08

deerchaser007

Those cages will tell you what you need to know. They will tell you if the deer are just hitting the area that hard or the plot is failed. Like i said,.. give the durana time this year,.. wait til you see it in spring!!

Latest posts