Turkey Shells

TheLBLman

Wes Parrish said:
TiminTN said:
I found that [size]Fiocci nickle plated #6 is awesome and inexpensive[/size].
Well, Tim, based on your recommendation, I just ordered about $100 worth of various [size]Fiocci[/size] loads for testing. :)

[size]So the Fiocci nickel plated shot should be harder and penetrate deeper than copper plated?[/size]
If I'm thinking right, a #6 nickel plated pellet might penetrate comparably to a #5 standard lead (non-plated) pellet?

I also just ran across this:
Federal Mag-Shok� HEAVYWEIGHT� Turkey

The shot in these loads is being advertised as 30% heavier than lead.
They're available in shot as small as #7, and Federal states their #7 HEAVYWEIGHT� Turkey pellets have the same energy per pellet at 40 yards as a #5 standard lead pellet.

Anyone tried any of these?

TheLBLman

One reason I'm asking about certain shells is because I'm setting up a "guest" turkey gun. I want it to be with relatively mild recoil for women and children, have a modified choke to reduce misses, yet still be deadly out to 35 to 40 yards.

I plan to use either 2 3/4 or 3" shells, modified choke, and with a 1.75x Nikon Monarch scope on the gun. I believe with #6 or #7 shot, this "could possibly" be deadly out to 40 yards, and with quite a bit of room for error in shot placement.

I'll enjoy much of my spare time patterning shotguns and loads over the next couple months. ;)

WTM

a friend of mine started turkey hunting 2 yrs ago. he used the federal mags cause he couldnt find a turkey choke for his gun. i think he used a modified or full. the federal's have a cup that the shot rides in and holds the pattern, and they pattern good.

i dont agree on your modified choke theory, at those ranges you will have more misses with the modified, or never find a wounded bird.

for you intended purpose, if it were me, i think i would look at a 20ga with a descent ported turkey full choke and loads, and limit shots to 20-25 yards.

good luck.

deerchaser007

Finding the right shell to match a gun/choke combo can be expensive and time consuming.

I used the federal heavyweight #6 in 3 inch,.. not impressed with a 660 ported choke. BUT,.. they are suppose to be much better from chokes not ported and not constricted as tight. They might work better from your combo. The pellet count in federal heavyweight shells are less than winchester and remington also.

TheLBLman

deerchaser007 said:
The pellet count in federal heavyweight shells are less than winchester and remington also.
Now there's something I hadn't thought about.

If you have shells loaded with pellets that are 30% heavier than lead, then an ounce of these pellets would have approximately 30% fewer pellets than an ounce of lead pellets?!?!

Ditto, for those expensive "extended range" and "hevi-shot" shells that are advertised as being 10% heavier than lead. An ounce of those would have approximately 10% fewer pellets than an ounce of lead pellets. Certainly something to think about.

Those Fiucci nickel-plated lead pellets are just sounding better and better!

Latest posts