Turkey questions...

Tenntrapper

I enjoy hunting turkeys, but admittedly, know little about their behaviors.
Back in the spring season, I passsed on 4 jakes that were hanging together. I've watched them all summer, here on the farm. All ive seen for this years hatch has been 8 poults...with 4 hens.
Ive been bush hogging for last couple weeks, and I see these groups "4" and "12" quiet frequently.
This morning, I seen the larger group about 7-800 yards up on hill in pasture
IMG_20210910_094326.jpg
, didnt think much of it..just noticed it was the bigger group.
After making a couple trips around the section i was working on, I came over the hill and these "6" were standing about 25 yards from me. I didn't immediately grab my phone for pic, as I just assumed the bigger group had moved over my way. Then i noticed all the beards... everyone of them had them. Most were dragging the ground, but one or two were maybe 5-6". By the time i could get my phone, they had moved away from me. So, this was the best pic I could get. Oh, they did come back about half hour later...and I have a question about that.

Questions...
1) do turkeys form bachelor groups?
2) could the 2 new ones be from the poults...would this year's birds have beards yet?
3) why were their heads not red?
4) when i seen half hour later, couple had red heads....do they change color that fast?

Im just trying to understand what's going on here. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

megalomaniac

Yes, turkeys form bachelor groups that hang together from mid June till the following spring. Some still stay in small bachelor groups during the breeding season (usually jakes or sibling adult males)

This year's poults are not part of the bachelor group, the extras are from somewhere else joining your group.

Turkeys can change the color of their heads in just a few seconds depending on their level of excitement or fear.

Tenntrapper

Yes, turkeys form bachelor groups that hang together from mid June till the following spring. Some still stay in small bachelor groups during the breeding season (usually jakes or sibling adult males)

This year's poults are not part of the bachelor group, the extras are from somewhere else joining your group.

Turkeys can change the color of their heads in just a few seconds depending on their level of excitement or fear.
Thank you