Turkey Hunting and Gas Question?

AT Hiker

Prices are about 50% higher from last year. So, if you hunt exactly the same as last year you'll spend 50% more in fuel cost, that $100 in fuel will cost you $150 now…what's the breaking point?

Time to start thinking about if any of my trips are frivolous or not.

knightrider

Prices are about 50% higher from last year. So, if you hunt exactly the same as last year you'll spend 50% more in fuel cost, that $100 in fuel will cost you $150 now…what's the breaking point?

Time to start thinking about if any of my trips are frivolous or not.
When there is $0 in the hunting account, i work extra, save all my time, and scrimp on most everything to chase what i love in april and may!

AT Hiker

When there is $0 in the hunting account, i work extra, save all my time, and scrimp on most everything to chase what i love in april and may!
Same here.
I suppose it hits my western passion a bit harder. I was really hoping to squeeze a random trip to MT in this May but that 2700 mile round trip will add up. That's approximately $400 more than last year…I need a Prius

TheLBLman

Concern of gas prices makes a lot more sense than concern over the price of TSS?

If I have to, I'll just eat out less to come up with more gas money.

Serious tip:

If you usually buy a drink (tea, soft drink, whatever) when you eat out, you might be surprised how much money you can save in a month by just instead drinking water. Healthier, too.

Something that might surprise you:

Even with the now much higher gas prices, do you know where most "convenient" stores make more profit than on a gallon of gas?

With the sale of a single "drink" inside the store.
In fact, I'd bet most make more profit from a single large drink than a typical full car fill-up of gas.

Bgoodman30

Concern of gas prices makes a lot more sense than concern over the price of TSS?

If I have to, I'll just eat out less to come up with more gas money.

Serious tip:

If you usually buy a drink (tea, soft drink, whatever) when you eat out, you might be surprised how much money you can save in a month by just instead drinking water. Healthier, too.

Something that might surprise you:

Even with the now much higher gas prices, do you know where most "convenient" stores make more profit than on a gallon of gas?

With the sale of a single "drink" inside the store.
In fact, I'd bet most make more profit from a single large drink than a typical full car fill-up of gas.
Seriously good tips. I sold my Toyota Tundra for this reason. The tank was so small and with 13 mpg I found that I was filling up once or twice a day but also spending $10 in the store every stop..

TheLBLman

Drink at a restaurant is almost $3, average family can save $9-$12 by drinking water..
And that's PER MEAL!

They could end this "special" at any time, but,
McDonald's has the best deal going on drinks,
for those times when water will just not cut it.

Any size tea or soft drink is currently $1 at McDonald's.
Also, a 12 oz (small) SENIOR coffee is usually @ 75 cents.
Just say "SENIOR" coffee for this discount.

megalomaniac

Just go buy an electric car like Biden told you to do.

An average turkey season for me is 5000 miles in my 15mpg tahoe... around 333 gal or so. That's about $600 extra from last year, $900 over 2000 spring season.

It hurts, but I'm pretty frugal elsewhere (we hardly ever eat out, most of my hunting gear was bought years ago).

I do spend $1100 annually on my lease 9 miles away. With has prices being up so much, that is probably saving me at least $300 in extra fuel driving to hunt other semi-local spots 20 to 40 miles away.

elknturkey

It shouldn't affect most really when you break the numbers down. I drive about 30k miles and half that is pulling a trailer so yeah that's going to hurt compared to last year. But a 1000 mile out of state hunting trip? Na, if that little bit extra prevents someone from going they couldn't afford it to begin with

megalomaniac

This will make a few guys mad at me. instead of just chasing long beards, if shooting a jake will save me a couple of tanks of gas vs burning up gas chasing a LB, the jake dies. Can't eat the beard or spurs.
most expensive turkey meat ever. Save your gas and go to the local store and buy a butterball. You will come out way ahead. :)

Now if you want to shoot a jake because it's legal and you like to watch stuff flop, that's your perogative.

Latest posts