Tuning a new bow....

Grizzly Johnson

I have read threads on here about it and was wondering, when I get my new bow.... are the guys at Bass Pro qualified enough to do it and I MEAN RIGHT or should I go else where to a pro? I think I have also read on here about people recommending an archery shop somewhere maybe around the Nashville area....? Any ideas guys, thanks for all the help!!

Radar

BPS is okay , but I haven't had them do any work on a bow . There is a bow tech there that seemed quite knowledgeable when I stopped in the once .
Because of guys buying bows online , good proshops are getting hard to come by around the Nashville area . Hermitage Archery is good from what I have read on here . Dickson Sportsman's Store is good .
I do my own setup and tuning .

LCU

That is why I only deal with my almost local bow shop in Loretto.
I know and trust them to do it right.

BPS no doubt does have a good bow tech or two,but you never know who is working,and if he has time, etc.
It's a crap shoot.

Radar

LCU said:
That is why I only deal with my almost local bow shop in Loretto.
I know and trust them to do it right.

BPS no doubt does have a good bow tech or two,but you never know who is working,and if he has time, etc.
It's a crap shoot.

I have been there , and they have a nice shop , but I'm not sure he wants to make the 2 hour drive from Nashville .
Hermitage would probably be the best shop close to Nashville that I have heard of ? I'm sure there are others in the general area .

LCU

He may not, but the point is support a bow shop.
Go to BPS to look at stuff.
I saw Faith Hill at BPS in June.

JThuntsalot

Grizzly if you already have it when you come to town this week to pick that gun up from TNtrapper. I would be glad to help you tune it instead of going somewhere else. I have all the stuff to do it with.

Radar

LCU said:

I agree .I like to support the local proshops . I used to support Steve's here in Columbia , but they have poor service and very little inventory now . I liked G&S Pro Bass and Hunting in Columbia and bought allot of stuff from them , but they went out of business last year because they couldn't compete with online sales . :(

They need to sell NEW BOWS to stay in business . They don't make much money when someone buys a bow online then just buys a few accessories from their shop.

LCU

Radar said:
LCU said:

I agree .I like to support the local proshops . I used to support Steve's here in Columbia , but they have poor service and very little inventory now . I liked G&S Pro Bass and Hunting in Columbia and bought allot of stuff from them , but they went out of business last year because they couldn't compete with online sales . :(

They need to sell NEW BOWS to stay in business . They don't make much money when someone buys a bow online then just buys a few accessories from their shop.

Im not bashing Steves,but I drive 25 more miles to go to Loretto.
It's like a club in there.
If you are not one of the guys that hang out there, you get little service if any.

I even buy clothing and some other stuff from Teds off the square. I keep thinking this place has to get killed and go under,but instead they are loaded with inventory.
Service is a little strange,but they are good people.
Wish they knew more about guns.
I choose to support the ol local guy.

I bought some UA gloves there in October. I asked why it was priced at full retail. They told me the did discount UA stuff and got a letter from UA not to discount, or they would lose the line.
I confirmed this is the UA policy. They were telling the truth.
Good people.

Grizzly Johnson

JThuntsalot said:
Grizzly if you already have it when you come to town this week to pick that gun up from TNtrapper. I would be glad to help you tune it instead of going somewhere else. I have all the stuff to do it with.

How the heck you know about that? If you know the peeps that TT & I know, we know more people than we thought we did.... small world!!

I don't have the bow yet....got to work some OT to payoff the credit to buy TT's 25-06.... then maybe the bow..... I'm looking at the BowTech/Diamond Black Ice.... any opinions?

Thanks for the offer either way JT.....

Grizzly Johnson

When/If that's the one I get, it will be my first very own bow. The ones I have had were hand-me-downs that I made do with. I have places to hunt that are bow only and a good bow might get me more into bow hunting.....

Radar

Grizzly_Johnson said:
When/If that's the one I get, it will be my first very own bow. The ones I have had were hand-me-downs that I made do with. I have places to hunt that are bow only and a good bow might get me more into bow hunting.....

I think you will notice a huge difference in a bow that fits you correctly over a hand me down . My dad gave me my first bow , and it was too long in draw length . It led to bad shooting form and poor accuracy .
Good luck on your purchase !

JThuntsalot

Grizzly_Johnson said:
JThuntsalot said:

How the heck you know about that? If you know the peeps that TT & I know, we know more people than we thought we did.... small world!!

I don't have the bow yet....got to work some OT to payoff the credit to buy TT's 25-06.... then maybe the bow..... I'm looking at the BowTech/Diamond Black Ice.... any opinions?

Thanks for the offer either way JT.....

Me and TT hunt to together all the time and his place is where I deer hunt. MY wife and his went to school together. Usually if either one of us has something to do with hunting the other one is with them. LOL

I fixed up CBwoods bow off of here for him. It was a diamond. I don't remember which one but it shot great and had it shooting dead on at 40 yards in no time.

LCU

Tell me what you think about it.
I do not have a bow press of the knowledge to set a bow up,but I did play around with this info and a few different arrows.

I had some Easton arrows that would not paper tune as well as I thought they should.
Worked with the CE Maxima and things improved right away.

May not have all been due to the arrows but other variables,that just improved it.

Hoss

Grizz it might pay dividends for you to find a pro-shop nearby. Even if JT get you set up you may need the services of a full blown pro-shop one day. It is good to have one that knows you.

The Black Ice is a fantastic bow by the way. I have shot several and they are SWEET!

Latest posts