TSSAA

Acorn Goat

Rumor has it that TSSAA is working on a ruling that allows a student to transfer without forfeiting their eligibility for a year without a change of address?

Gravey

How do you transfer without a change in address? Used to and maybe still a way was to take a class (or classes) that your zoned school didn't have or at least that's how I remember it but it's been 30+ years since I've been in high school. My brother is the AD at his high school so I'll ask him what he's heard.

Acorn Goat

I'd be curious to know the end result. Thanks for the info maybe your brother will know something. Be like a transfer portal for high school

BMan

Most counties have open zoning for high school as long as they can provide their own transportation.

IMO, that needs to stop as it pertains to public school athletics. Sure, you'll lose some of the "dynasty" type high schools, particularly on the football side, but at least it will help to level the playing field. Let the paid talent go to the private schools.

Gravey

I'd be curious to know the end result. Thanks for the info maybe your brother will know something. Be like a transfer portal for high school
He hasn't heard anything about that yet but said if it happened would be a disaster in his opinion.

Most counties have open zoning for high school as long as they can provide their own transportation. They cant play for 2 different schools during the same season however.
That's true in Rutherford county the way I understand it BUT the school has to have openings available. If it's at capacity no exemptions are allowed for that school.

bigquacks

if the counties allow you to go to any school you like then all the schools in that county should be bumped up in classification to the highest levels. But we all know that they will have work arounds for anything thrown at them,

deerfever

TSSAA is not working on anything that allows a student to transfer without change of address. There was a bill in the state legislature that had language that would have made it difficult for TSSAA to enforce the transfer rule. The language was changed . I cannot remember the exact bill but TSSAA had nothing to do with it. As of now a student must have a bona fide change of residence once they start their eligibility with a TSSAA Middle or High school if they transfer/ move to another school in order to be eligible. There are also hardship cases that may allow a student to become immediately eligible that are ruled on case by case basis.

Latest posts