Trout license

catman529

Wow I've been fishing for 7+ years and never knew you needed a trout license...I've put $77 into fishing/hunting licenses this year and will have to renew in March, and I've already caught some trout as you can see in my previous thread, and found out I need this license which I don't have.

I was planning on going out tomorrow with a friend to catch some more trout but I guess we'll have to call that off. Is it worth the $18 to catch some more farm-raised corn-eating trout or should I just forget it and drop a chunk of fresh cut bait for a winter catfish instead? Bass fishing too is also more exciting than farm raised trout.

scn

catman529 said:
Wow I've been fishing for 7+ years and never knew you needed a trout license...I've put $77 into fishing/hunting licenses this year and will have to renew in March, and I've already caught some trout as you can see in my previous thread, and found out I need this license which I don't have.

I was planning on going out tomorrow with a friend to catch some more trout but I guess we'll have to call that off. Is it worth the $18 to catch some more farm-raised corn-eating trout or should I just forget it and drop a chunk of fresh cut bait for a winter catfish instead? Bass fishing too is also more exciting than farm raised trout.

Since you have already violated the law, the ethical thing to do would be to buy your required license whether you go back to fish or not.

TNCharlie

Catman, just in case you don't catch scn's drift, he is giving you very good information and a HUGE tip on how to avoid a problem here. You have publicly admitted to a mistake, but you can demonstrate that it was out of ignorance without intent to break any laws by getting that trout license now. Otherwise, you may have a difficult time explaining your actions to the proper officials.

Oh, and one more suggeston - pick up a Fishing Guide when the new ones come out and check it for info on the rules and regulations.

jb3

I don't think he needs to buy a license. He's admitted his mistake and doesn't plan on doing it until he has the correct license.

Cat, it is hard to believe you've never been checked. Trout fishing is fun and I believe it is worth the investment. Try some areas off the beaten path. Finding private land with access to fishing areas is a little easier than hunting land.

catman529

jb3 I know I thought I would have been checked at some time especially fishing by the dam where people say the GW shows up all the time. but for some reason it hasn't happened...I usually fish in less public areas where I don't think the GW ever goes. Like down hiking trails a distance to a thick spot on the bank where only people on boats may have fished.

I am tight on money but if I get the chance and stop by walmart I might consider getting the trout license so I have it anyway.

catman529

I'm going to get it today, got to do some xmas shopping at wally world anyway so I'll pick up the trout license while I'm at it

B.D.

As noted above - since you've already kept trout, and the trout license pays for the stocking program, the right thing to do is buy the license to pay for the trout you kept. TWRA is running an awfully tight budget right now, so it wouldn't be fair to take fish other people paid for.

In future years, remember that if you think you'll only go one time in the year, Tennessee finally has a one-day trout stamp (technically an "all species license") for $11.00 so you don't have to pay the full $18.00 for the full year. If you're going to trout fish more than one day, it makes more sense to just buy the full year.

Edit - also in future years, don't post that you've been fishing without a license, because it makes Steve feel like he's working when he's reading this board. :grin:

bd

go_okfishin

...I usually fish in less public areas where I don't think the GW ever goes.

Sounds like you are trying to avoid them for some reason. :confused:

catman529

Well I got the trout stamp and will have it from now on when I want to fish for trout, it expires in Feb but it's worth it...

knightrider...I thought I would just come clean and say it, and if someone wants to get me in trouble for it, I don't know why they'd go that far but I guess technically they could. but I think I'd be better off admitting my mistake and buying the license than sneaking around poaching and getting caught doing that.

knightrider

catman529 said:
Well I got the trout stamp and will have it from now on when I want to fish for trout, it expires in Feb but it's worth it...

knightrider...I thought I would just come clean and say it, and if someone wants to get me in trouble for it, I don't know why they'd go that far but I guess technically they could. but I think I'd be better off admitting my mistake and buying the license than sneaking around poaching and getting caught doing that.
i was just asking because i wasnt sure if you had been called out on it or something, i wasnt trying to accuse you of sneaking around poaching fish, i was just trying to bring to your attention that there are some on here that would go to that trouble to see some one get in trouble for not knowing the regs, im glad you got the license and realize the mistake that shows alot for your character.

catman529

Thanks....just trying to follow the rules. It's for conservation anyway and keeps our hunting and fishing in good shape.

The Ol Professor

I buy a sportsmans license every year. I don't archery hunt but I like that I don't have to worry about 3 or 4 supplemental licenses and that I can put in for quota hunts for no charge. The S-L covers the trout stamp, too. I put $3 in an envelope once a week. Come March 1st I have enough for the license plus $20 left over to buy ammo, ect.

catman529

That's a great idea...if I start doing the $3/week thing next march maybe I'll end up getting the sportsmans license in 2012.

moondawg

The Ol'Professor said:
I buy a sportsmans license every year. I don't archery hunt but I like that I don't have to worry about 3 or 4 supplemental licenses and that I can put in for quota hunts for no charge. The S-L covers the trout stamp, too.

Yep, that's why I buy the sportsman's license. I don't bowhunt, either and I don't do much trout fishing in TN. But there's always a chance I might get to do some trout fishing if I visit the inlaws in East TN. I don't always hunt WMAs, but at least I have it covered under the sportsman's license. I'd rather pay for it all instead of worrying if I got the correct licenses.

It helps that the licenses come up for sale around my birthday in February. My birthday present usually consists of getting a sportsman's license.

Plus, I get to contribute to SCN's and BigGameGuy's salaries and their cool equipment! :D

A

Anonymous

It's a good thing you broke down and got your trout stamp because Santa and the game warden are real tite, the tell each other everything.

You made a honest mistake, if you had been caught without them sevral times youve got a issue, I dont see what the big deal is, like everybody follows the law to the T, dont guess any one ever surpasses the speed limit by a few miles per hour, the way some of ya'll are act'n if you did drive to fast youd have to run a trooper down and volunteer for a public flogging.

4onaside

Boy,do you just like to talk?lol Maybe it goes with the relatively few number of birthdays that you have had. Hopefully, as you mature you will learn that if you make a mistake, nothing is accomplished by shooting your mouth off about it. If you were ignorant of the law and got away with it without it costing you any money, just count it as your good fortune. What have you accomplished by telling the world about it, after the fact? Just make sure that if you ever go again, have the proper licenses. Its a done deal, and everybody lives happily ever after, both you and the TWRA. lol

stik

Appalachia said:
like everybody follows the law to the T, dont guess any one ever surpasses the speed limit by a few miles per hour, the way some of ya'll are act'n if you did drive to fast youd have to run a trooper down and volunteer for a public flogging.

apples and oranges. totally different situation.

Latest posts