trout fishing in union city and martin

rem788

there is a pond in U.C. and one in martin that the twra stocks with rainbow trout every winter. I've searched all over the net for how and when and just general info on catching trout in these conditions. by these conditions i mean not moving not clear water, on regular fishing tackle (my fly rod broke recently) and the water isnt cold all year. So can anyone help me with when to fish what bait or lures to use and stuff like that?

trealtree

There is probably not any trout in there during the warm months. They probably stock it around December. I would fish with a #8 hook and split shot on the bottom with pink floating power bait. or small rooster tails With light 4 or 6 lb test line.

rem788

the fishing regulations book tells when they stock but i dont remember at the moment. So i need to try fishing it in the winter after they stock? they dont tell how big they are when they stock them. im guessing full grown since they dont survive well in warm water

4onaside

In the past they have stocked them, generally twice in the West Tennessee(and middle) ponds, usually the first time in December after the water cools down to the point that it will support them, and once again in Jan or Feb. depending on location. However, I read recently where the funding for these fish might be disappearing, so you might want to check with the TWRA if the winter progam is on go for 2011/2012. And, like the man said, the first couple or so days after they are stocked in these small ponds, they are relatively easy to catch. On corn, worms, power bait, spinners or whatever you would use for trout anywhere. Even flies if you are of that persuasion. And everyone that I have ever caught have been good size, say 9 to 12 inches. Plenty big to eat.

TheLBLman

Guess I missed it. Never heard of any trout fishing around Union City.

Maybe they're stocking Reelfoot Lake now with big browns! :D
Let me know if they stock the Hatchie Wild & Scenic River. I've floated it a few times for bass and grinnel, but never trout.

TheLBLman

trealtree said:
According to this they usually stock Union City around mid december.

http://www.tn.gov/twra/fish/StreamRiver ... trout.html
You gotta' be kiddin' me. Reelfoot Pond?

Now that deer season is closing January 1st, maybe I'll start a cold-water fisheries guide service in West TN. ;)
[size]
Wes Parrish Guide Service[/size]
Big Water Trout Fishing on Reelfoot Lake or
Float the Pristine North Fork (of the Obion River) for Trout and Gar.
Limited Trips Available to the Famous Crockett Bottoms (brown trout only).
Or Just Come Fish the Stocked Ponds of Bessie Bend with Spectacular Views of the Mighty Mississippi River!

Special Lodging & Amenity Package Available in Scenic Samburg, TN ---- The New Capital of Tennessee's Cold-Water Fisheries!
Be sure to ask about our Combo Coot Hunt / Trout Float adventure that will take you from the Rat Island Shores to Buzzard Slough!
And top your trip with a fly-fishing excursion to the Upper Blue Basin - Home of World-Class Gar & Grinnel!

trealtree

Wes Parrish said:
trealtree said:

Now that deer season is closing January 1st, may'be I'll start a cold-water fisheries guide service in West TN. ;)
[size]
Or Just Come Fish the Stocked Ponds of Bessie Bend with Spectacular Views of the Mighty Mississippi River!

Special Lodging & Amenity Package Available in Scenic Samburg, TN ---- The New Capital of Tennessee's Cold-Water Fisheries!
Be sure to ask about our Combo Coot Hunt / Trout Float adventure that will take you from the Rat Island Shores to Buzzard Slough!
And top your trip with a fly-fishing excursion to the Upper Blue Basin - Home of World-Class Gar & Grinnel!

Most west Tn folks have probably never seen a trout, They would probably try to fillet one out after they caught it. ;)

4onaside

trealtree said:
Wes Parrish said:
trealtree said:

Now that deer season is closing January 1st, may'be I'll start a cold-water fisheries guide service in West TN. ;)
[size]

Most west Tn folks have probably never seen a trout, They would probably try to fillet one out after they caught it. ;)
I expect that most of us over here who have any interest in such have caught them over here. TWRA has had their winter stocking program in place for a number of years. And has been expanding. One of the first was Lake Graham in Jackson, and several Shelby county locations plus several other West Tennessee locales. Take the trout to the people, and since a lot of the fishing is thru for the winter by then, its a great program.

4onaside

Wes Parrish said:
Heard Simms was thinking about moving to Samburg.
Unless he was born there, and had any intention of guiding, he would probably get the message of "don't let sundown find you still here!" lol

4onaside

Wes Parrish said:
Well, if the Samburgians won't let Simms stay, we'll set him up over around Shawtown. ;)
Well, I was a Memphian most of my life, most recently a Jacksonian, but I don't know if I've ever met a Samburgian. Least wise, not away from Samburg. lol

Latest posts