Trigger help on CVA percussion lock

Stykbow

So I'm working on a CVA Hawken and I have trigger issues. I can set the front trigger, but when you pull it after setting it will not drop the hammer. It clicks, but doesn't release the hammer. To drop the hammer you have to put some serious pressure on the front trigger. I mean like squeeze for all you're worth. I have cleaned the lock, polished everything out, and it didn't help. I'm still investigating this issue, but I thought some of you more experienced folks may be able to offer some insight. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wobblyshot1

Wish I could look at it. It could be any number of things. From your description it sounds like something is binding. My first thought is that the sear screw is too tight and the bridle is pinching it preventing it from rotating and releasing the tumbler. I'd try backing off the sear screw first. If that doesn't work you could call and I wouldn't mind trying walking you through other possible solutions....

Stykbow

Thanks for the reply wobbly. I have been studying on this pretty hard and I'm starting to think the trigger assembly isn't I let deep enough which doesn't allow it to hit the firing bar correctly. I'm going to do some measuring tomorrow and see what I get. Does this sound like it could be the issue to you?

Smo

Does the lock have a fly?

If so that could be the issue, or binding against the wood in the inlet somewhere.

Did this issue just start or has it been that way for awhile?

Wobblyshot1

Let me back up and start all over...When the lock is off the gun does it function as it should? It is suppose to operate freely in the mortise as well. Some of these older CVA locks have an adjustment screw on the top of the tumbler. By screwing it in, the sear is pushed out closer to the edge of the full chocolate chip cookie notch allowing the set trigger to kick the sear out more easily. If your lock has this feature give this a look. As Smo said, there may be some contact with wood especially when the lock bolt is snugged up. One thing you can check is the possibility that the sear arm is bottoming out in the hole it goes in. Carefully relieve anyplace there may be contact with the moving parts.

Now for the trigger...The CVA Hawken trigger is of the double leaf type. In other words, you should be able to fire the gun with triggers set or unset. Operate them out of the stock checking their proper functioning. After this, make sure the screw holding the spring down is tight. The end of the spring when the triggers are not set should not make full contact. The rear trigger must have a little wiggle room but not too much. Without that wiggle room you may not be able to full chocolate chip cookie the lock without setting the trigger first. If too much wiggle the spring may not be applying enough pressure for it to push the sear out of the notch in the tumbler. I think there is a small screw through the lock plate that contacts the underside of the spring. It can tightened or loosened as needed for proper tension. You'll just have to play around with this until it works to your satisfaction. Here again make sure there it no contact with wood for the moving parts.

Inletting the lock deeper would be a last resort thing. Hope this helps.

Stykbow

Well, it's official. I know what's wrong with it. The damn thing is broke![emoji3] I cannot get it to work correctly using the set trigger. I did manage to get the main trigger to work good enough to shoot, but it's still heavier than it should be.

Latest posts