Took a friend fishing

catman529

Dropped the jon boat in the harpeth river this afternoon with a friend and a bunch of fishing gear. He has a new rod and reel and his license. I took him fishing twice last year and he didn't catch more than a tiny bass.

So we had corn and live crawfish, ready for decent sized fish. Ran upstream and got everything ready on the sand bar. chummed with corn. Carp started cruising through right before sunset. He caught a carp that went 5-13. I reared back twice and had the hook pop out from 2 different carp. Once they had run through, they were done and didn't bite again all night. My friend later caught a nice drum, maybe 4 or 5 pounds, on a crawfish. At some point I got him set up with chicken breast on one of my lines, and I had to take it and hook a fish cause he was out of reach when this fish hit it for the 3rd time. A small flathead, maybe a pound at most. Being "catman" I am ashamed to admit that was the first flathead catfish I have caught, and it was a baby one.

Also my regular fishing buddy showed up before it got dark and he had some hits but didn't catch anything. Fishing is inconsistent there.... I just started fishing this sand bar this year so I haven't learned any patterns other than the carp run upstream before it gets dark.

We all stayed till around 10.45 pm and headed back. Glad to get someone new into fishing... and glad he caught the two best fish. The carp gave him a great fight.

Just another fishing report for the night....

WMAn

Catman,

I'm surprised by the FlatHead out of the Harpeth. I have wondered about FlatHeads inn the Duck upstream from Columbia. One of these days I'll get down there to try it.

catman529

WMAn said:
Catman,

I'm surprised by the FlatHead out of the Harpeth. I have wondered about FlatHeads inn the Duck upstream from Columbia. One of these days I'll get down there to try it.
I have seen my buddy catch a few out of there, none more than 4 or 5 pounds or so. They are definitely there but not many in number. Finally caught one myself. I bet they would be bigger if you can find some deeper holes in the river.

Latest posts