Tomatoes

DaveB

Yep. BHN-1021. Determinate. I got mine from Gurney's

Description:
(my emphasis)
Great flavor and excellent disease resistance. Specifically bred to address disease and pest problems of the humid Southeastern states. Fruit set is excellent all the way to the top of the plant. High-quality, large to extra-large fruits are great for slicing and fresh eating. Resistant to: Fol, T, TSWV, V and nematodes. Determinate. 76 DAYS.

catman529

Of course... Will start em around the first of March. Peppers will be started in the next week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

WTM":1hppsc6s said:
catman529":1hppsc6s said:
Of course... Will start em around the first of March. Peppers will be started in the next week or so.

are those overwintered peppers making it ok?
yes but I might have to hard prune it so I have room to start seeds soon.

feb15eb4c1fd5e0ff755c0cac0525f0c.jpg

dralarms

DaveB":3sjy78t0 said:
Yep. BHN-1021. Determinate. I got mine from Gurney's

Description:
(my emphasis)
Great flavor and excellent disease resistance. Specifically bred to address disease and pest problems of the humid Southeastern states. Fruit set is excellent all the way to the top of the plant. High-quality, large to extra-large fruits are great for slicing and fresh eating. Resistant to: Fol, T, TSWV, V and nematodes. Determinate. 76 DAYS.

Where can I get this type?

Moonman

Just placed an order with gurneys. What tips do you all for what you use for starting soils and containers? I tried starting my own a coup,e years back and they were stemy.

Also I've tried heirlooms a couple of years and it seemed that they are really prone to diease. If you've never tried them the Cherokee purple pole beans are really good.

WTM

DaveB":37hnx7gg said:
I ordered my BHN-1021 from Gurneys---

https://www.gurneys.com/product/bhn-1021-hybrid-tomato

Catalog says indeterminate, package says determinate. Going to find out I guess.

1021's are determinates, pretty good tomatoes if you like firm flesh. Amelia and celebrity are also super disease resistant varieties that pack a bit more flavor, but they are also determinates.

WTM

Moonman":2b8mfbfx said:
Just placed an order with gurneys. What tips do you all for what you use for starting soils and containers? I tried starting my own a coup,e years back and they were stemy.

Also I've tried heirlooms a couple of years and it seemed that they are really prone to diease. If you've never tried them the Cherokee purple pole beans are really good.

i always use a good sterilized seed starting mix in a long tray and then seperate seedlings into individual cups. for simplicity, ive found those seed starting "greenhouse" trays work really well too. as for tips, check soil ph, no overhead watering, keep leaves and stems from ground level to 6-8 inches pruned as they grow (to keep leaves off the ground and prevent splash up), mulch around plants(i use sections of wheat straw), keep grass and weeds at bay and dont use to much nitrogen. fish emulsion works great.

in a normal spring and summer, heirlooms are great. last year was the hottest, most humid summer on record here and all of my heirlooms ended up diseased no matter what i tried. the long term forecast for this year is supposed to be drier and average to above average temps for spring unless el nina reverses and then we can have a cooler spring. either way it looks like a good year for gardening year.

catman529

Moonman":1a6zeg7y said:

use fluorescent shop lights with cool white or daylight tubes. Keep the lights only a couple inches above the seedlings at all times. Hang the light from chains so you can adjust as the seedlings grow. you need to leave the lights on them for longer than normal daylight because they aren't as good as sunlight. Normally should be fine if you turn them off/on when you go to bed and get up in the morning. Or you could plug it into a timer for 12-14 hours of light time, give or take.

When planting the seeds, use egg cartons filled with seed starting Jiffy mix, you can find it at walmart or almost anywhere. Add water to the mix in a bowl before you put it into the cartons.

Once the first true leaves have grown out from between the seed leaves, select your best specimens and put them into Dixie cups with miracle gro potting mix. They will take off with the boost of fertilizer and should stay green and healthy.

Water them when needed, but don't keep them soaking wet. Don't let them wilt either. Let the top layer of dirt get dry before watering.

You can turn a fan on them on low speed for part of the day to simulate wind and strengthen the stems.

Always keep the lights just a couple inches above the plants.

When it's warm enough outside to transplant, you have to "harden off" the seedlings, or acclimate them to the real sunlight. If you put them straight into the sun all day, the leaves will burn. So start with maybe 30min to an hour of sun for the first day, then back under the shop light. Gradually increase sun exposure every day for a week or two, until they can handle the real weather. Now you can plant them in the garden.

Forvols

Love me some tomatoes. One of the best things with a mater is just mayo/salt/pepper and loaf bread samich and also I can just pick one cut add salt or not eat it right there in the garden or on a plate. Homemade butter biscuit slice of tomato salt pepper, I cut lots of tobacco or put up a lot square bails on that meal starting the day. Summer one of the best/versatile garden "fruits". We always had mac/tomato/onion/green pepper/heavy on the black pepper dish on the family table--sometimes it had some meat in it most times not--chicken, beef, squirrel, coon(didn't like that much) maybe cheese (but not usually). Even times catfish...that was pretty good. I remember going back later and the mac/tomato dish was our snack.
To this day I still like and eat some cold tomato/mac/whatever is in it when I make it. OHHH and it was always elbow macaroni. I eat cold mac/n/cheese love it my kids are like what...Kids..

Little homage to the tomato..

Latest posts