TN Forestry Service Tree Delivery

MickThompson

You will really want to control the pasture grasses around your trees. Otherwise the fescue will smother them and voles will girdle the bark. I would use a grass-selective herbicide and multiple apps. I prefer spraying too because I don't risk mowing them all down.

BTW, I have been told that the TDF nursery collects their chestnut seed from Dunstans growing on the nursery, but don't sell them as such because of trademark issues.

Hunter 257W

MickThompson":1e1l59bm said:
You will really want to control the pasture grasses around your trees. Otherwise the fescue will smother them and voles will girdle the bark. I would use a grass-selective herbicide and multiple apps. I prefer spraying too because I don't risk mowing them all down.

BTW, I have been told that the TDF nursery collects their chestnut seed from Dunstans growing on the nursery, but don't sell them as such because of trademark issues.

Interesting note about the Chestnut trees. I may get some of them next year. I know what you are saying about the fescue. I've planted trees in it before and if you don't stay on it, it will suck up all the water and you'll have a dead tree. I plan to use both mulch and spray this time.

Jarred525

MickThompson":2keveofl said:

Yep, I heard the same thing straight from one of the folks that works there. I really liked the ones I got last year. Potted them last year and just planted them a couple of weeks ago.

Latest posts