TN Forestry Service Tree Delivery

Hunter 257W

I ordered 200 trees from the Tennessee Department of Agriculture Division of Forestry back in the Fall with a requested January delivery. This is my 1st time to get trees from them so my question is:

Does a box of trees just show up at the door one day or do they give you some advanced warning?

Hunter 257W

Guess I better get the tractor out and run the sub-soiler a few passes along where I want the trees this weekend. That way when they do arrive I won't be digging hard packed pasture one tree at a time.

tickweed

Here in west Tn., when I order, they call me when the nursery at Pinson receives them, then I go and pick them up. If hand planting, better order a dribble tool. much easier to plant em with.

Hunter 257W

tickweed":1n96mq16 said:
Here in west Tn., when I order, they call me when the nursery at Pinson receives them, then I go and pick them up. If hand planting, better order a dribble tool. much easier to plant em with.

I'm not sure I gave them anything other than my address when I placed the order so not sure if they can call me. Well, guess I just better be prepared any time to get to work.

Is the dribble tool worth the $ compared to a spade if I bust the ground up with a sub-soiler 1st? I can definitely see that it would be if planting in an old pasture that is compacted. I could weld up a copy of this one with some angle iron cut on an angle and some 1" square tubing I already have. In this cold a little welding job would be good for the heat alone! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JIM-GEM-KBC-Bar ... 0689036758

treefarmer

You can use a shovel if you wish, a dibble bar is easier. My wife and I planted 400 TDOT shrubs one day with one shovel. I now use a KBC bar (heavy dibble for rocky areas) and keep the seedlings in a 5 gallon bucket of water while I plant. The most important things are not to "J" root due to a shallow hole and don't let the roots dry out during planting (only takes a minute or two). Cut off the roots if too long to fit in the hole. If you use a shovel don't dig a hole, just open a slot to place the tree roots and close the slot with the shovel by pushing the shovel in the ground a few inches away from the first slot and prying the shovel back, then kick the second slot closed with your boot. Use colored flagging to mark the trees if they are in an area of brush so you can find them this summer.

Rockhound

I just ordered 25 sawtooth oak, and I have 8 or 10 Chinese chestnut I've dug out of people's yards. I'm gonna use post hole diggers and fill the hole in with better dirt to get the roots established before it hits the chirt

Jarred525

treefarmer":2fstoka9 said:
You can use a shovel if you wish, a dibble bar is easier. My wife and I planted 400 TDOT shrubs one day with one shovel. I now use a KBC bar (heavy dibble for rocky areas) and keep the seedlings in a 5 gallon bucket of water while I plant. The most important things are not to "J" root due to a shallow hole and don't let the roots dry out during planting (only takes a minute or two). Cut off the roots if too long to fit in the hole. If you use a shovel don't dig a hole, just open a slot to place the tree roots and close the slot with the shovel by pushing the shovel in the ground a few inches away from the first slot and prying the shovel back, then kick the second slot closed with your boot. Use colored flagging to mark the trees if they are in an area of brush so you can find them this summer.

When you cut off the root, are you talking about the tap root as well?

treefarmer

I would try not to cut a tap root but if the only option is to cut it or "J" root then I'd cut it. I had 135 acres of pines hand planted and the first thing the planters did after removing the trees from the paper bags was to trim the roots from the whole bunch with a machete. My pines had bushy roots, not a main tap root.

WDS

I've had decent success without cutting the roots, but I am intrigued by this. Hopefully someone has a solid reason on this practice. Good luck !

Hunter 257W

I called the Forestry people and my trees are to be delivered tomorrow afternoon. I'll be getting them in the ground Saturday. Looks perfect with rain in the forecast Sunday and Monday for my area.

I ran the sub-soiler last Saturday to cut open the fescue pasture where these are going. That'll make the digging real easy. I plan to use Moister-Mizer granules under each tree and will be adding mulch later to keep the grass controlled. Looking forward to watching them grow.

KubotaM4900

Has anyone tried the chestnut trees they offer? Im about to order some if I dont find some other place. But would like some input first.

KubotaM4900

Guess I thought lil too long. I waited as I read couple places they didn't do as well as ones from other places dustans in particular was the comparison.

Hunter 257W

Got the trees in the ground Saturday. Moving a bit slow today too as a result of all the work! :) Next step is to get mulch around them all and watch them grow. Luckily it rained all night the night before planting and it's supposed to rain again tonight.

KubotaM4900, one thing to consider regarding the chestnuts, if you are wanting a lot of them, the cost from the forestry service is pennies on the dollar compared to other places. You can stand losing some of them when you consider that.

Latest posts