Timing.......

backyardtndeer

Very nice! Love the character on that buck.
He had some extras that I couldn't see on trail cam pics. I knew his left g3 had a little split, but didn't know about the sticker off the brow, or that the left beam was goofed up at the end. Almost looks like it got busted, maybe in velvet?
20231101_181705.jpg

backyardtndeer

Good job! He was triple dipping at the buffet for sure.
I would guess he had been loading up on corn and beans nearby before those crops came out, but most were out about a month ago. He had a pretty good layer of fat, especially on his hams.
20231111_111521_HDR.jpg

What is everyone else seeing for fat on deer this year, heavy or typical?

Lost Lake

I would guess he had been loading up on corn and beans nearby before those crops came out, but most were out about a month ago. He had a pretty good layer of fat, especially on his hams.
View attachment 203269

I haven't tagged a buck yet, but the two does I killed during archery season had good layers of fat on them. It's definitely been a time of abundance for them.

Snake

View attachment 203269

The buck I killed had excessive amounts of fat as well but this isn't in an agricultural area. We may be in for a really cold winter .

backyardtndeer

The buck I killed had excessive amounts of fat as well but this isn't in an agricultural area. We may be in for a really cold winter .
I have heard this before too, but don't know that I have seen a real correlation. Only deer I have ever seen with more fat was one my youngest daughter killed in 2019.

Latest posts