Timber Stand Improvement Desirable Trees

Jarred525

steven stone said:
Ive been told you need to be beyond the drip line by as far as 50 feet, and even if you cut the walnuts down, the jugalone will persist for about 2 years in the soil.

Wow! Well, will have to find a new spot. Do you guys have any ideas of what I could put in this type of area? I kind of wanted to keep the walnut as they will probably be ready to cut in about 10 years.

On the ash, if only I were closer to Louisville! (Louisville slugger) I have some huge ash trees that would make some nice logs.

Camp

KEEP THE ASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When timber values are up, ash brings GOOD money! I had our timber logged 9 years ago. Only 16" at stump and above. Nothing smaller. No elm, hackberry, hickory, etc. cut. In several more years I will have it re-harvested and also take out many of those trees with the grade logs, not for timber value, but for a better overall grade of the hardwoods. I now know better about "high grading" and the bad long term effects.

Anyway, ash brought in A LOT of money! It was deceptively higher than most of our "high quality trees" (oaks, walnut, etc.). The thing is this....

The high value trees often produced 2nd or 3rd grade logs (some crooks, limbs, knots, etc.). That cut the seemingly high price way down due to the lower grade. The ash has a very high tendency to naturally grow tall and straight and the limbs normally drop off early on in the growth so you get longer, straighter logs with no knots or limbs to downgrade the "quality". At that time high grade walnut might have been $1.00-$1.50 a board ft. ($1,000-$1,500 per 1,000 board ft. or $/MBft.) and red and white oak $700-$800/MBft.

But very FEW were clean enough to bring that. Most averaged $400-$600/MBft. The average ash brought around $300/MBft. but a much HIGHER percentage of the ash was top grade and it all sold for $650-$680/MBft. The red oak averaged a much higher grade as well. The ash and red oak are just more genetically inclined to produce better grade log trees from my observations. So even a slightly lesser value tree can average a higher monetary yield because of a higher average "grade" log.

Most of our hardwood went to Norwalk Wood products in Cookeville and Lafayette Manufacturing, but ALL the clean ash went directly to Union Tools around Gordonsville or South Carthage area I believe (I think they made tool handles out of them for hammers and axes and such) and it brought the $680/MBft.

When it's good and clean you can't beat Cherry and Walnut. But getting big, straight knot free logs is not as common unless you religiously "farm" them for a few decades. But I would still leave ALL cherry and Walnut unless it's already dieing or crooked as all get out.

And like I say, that was 16" and up, except cedars. Today we still have a HEAVY wooded tract. It would have brought much more if we had clear cut it or really cut down to 10" stuff. But I wanted to maintain WOODS not a clear cut jungle. Also no pulp wood was sold. Few in this area cut hardwood pulp. Maybe nobody anymore.

Nine years ago we harvested 76 acres and MY share (approximately 50% on hardwoods and 40% on the cedar, since I had a logger do it not myself) brought in $25,008.01. I still got the file on it. Don't know what it would bring today though.

If I had done everything, it would have meant around $53,000 to me but MAN you gotta have some heavy equipment to start cutting, dragging, loading and hauling hundreds of big logs around.

They wouldn't fit in my S-10 I had at the time. :grin:

Jarred525

Great Info Camp, thanks. I have some nice ash trees so that make me feel pretty good. Since this post I had actually spoke with someone at the division of forestry (they came out to do a timber plan on my place for greenbelt). He had told me the same thing that they could be valuable depending on market conditions.

O.K. Here is the list as I see it based on input thus far. Please feel free to add input. Thanks all. Please note that when I say it has timber value that is not based on present market conditions necessarily but potential based on past market conditions.

Wildlife and Timber Value
Oak
Persimmon
Cherry
Hickory
Pine
Cedar

Wildlife Only
Beech
Fruit
Chestnut

Timber Only
Walnut (Although Squirrels Like Them)
Poplar
Maple
Ash

One other note. Last year we were able to cut about 30 Mature Walnuts ourselves. W eknew the market was good at the time for them. We hired a guy to come in with a skidder one Saturday for about 6 hours to pull them out. We had 3 folks bid on them. Net income came to about 12K. Was great spending money for some cabin repairs and other land improvements. Hope to do it again next year if any timber has value. Saved us a bunch of money but found out quick that timber guys earn their keep!

Latest posts