Thoughts on Swisher BrushCutter ATV Mowers?

Football Hunter

Love mine,have the 44",not sure on engine size,but never had a problem.One thing,it doesnt mow grass or weeds all that "pretty",but gets em down.Will cut most anything you can run over. BSK has one as well I think.

BSK

If you plan on cutting through brush, tall weeds, and saplings, just make sure it is the brush cutter (rough cut) and not the brush mower. The mower does much better on tall grass, (mowing food plots), but is not recommended for brush/saplings (and you will experience breakage if you use it for that). The brush cutter will eat up the heaviest brush and saplings, but doesn't like tall grass (doesn't cut it cleanly because of the big heavy blades).

One advantage to the 44" 14.5 HP version over the 12.5 HP version is electric start (but that also requires a battery). The 12.5 HP is pull-start. I have the pull start and don't find it to be a big problem.

If you want to drop another thousand over the 44" 12.5 HP, you can get the 52" 18.5 HP version. Besides size, a big advantage of the 52" version is it a 4-wheeled mower. I've often found the 2-wheeled version is difficult to level, and either you have the front-end too low or the back-end too low (and adjusting the height is kind of a pain). With 4 wheels, it is much easier to adjust the height and keep it there.

We have the 44" rough-cut trail cutter and love it. We used the snot out of it and no problems. But again, it doesn't like cutting tall grass like Johnson grass or heavy foxtail. The big blades are made for smashing through saplings and head-high briars, and it does that with ease, even saplings as thick as broom-handles.

fins&fur

wess..i bought the 44in with the 12.5 briggs in april..didnt have a tractor at the time..and had to clear a 5 acre peice of overgrown property..all i can say is..it supprised the heck out of me..if you can drive through/over it..the dang thang will cut it..it has a stump jumper like a big bushog..i really dont think 2 more horses would make a differance..i have a lil 3000 ford now and am kinda lookin for a 6ft bushog..i would sell ya mine if you want to save a lil money..it has about 4 hours on it..i'll take $1000 cash for it..and you donate to tndeer..

TheLBLman

Thanks for the comments thus far, and hope some other Swisher owners will chime in.

I have no problem, maybe even prefer pull-start over electric, but just wondering if the extra HP would be of much advantage.

For much of my use the 52" version would be less practical, and think (even though it has 4 wheels) the wheels are smaller? May be wrong, but think the 44" would do better on uneven ground or pulling across a creek? I'm kinda looking for something in between a tractor bushhog and my walk-behind brush mower, and think this is "it".

BSK said:
. . . . . it doesn't like cutting tall grass like Johnson grass or heavy foxtail. The big blades are made for smashing through saplings and head-high briars, and it does that with ease, even saplings as thick as broom-handles.
Interesting about it not "liking" Johnson grass. My walk-behind brush mower seems to "like" it pretty well, although I don't "like" to be behind it.

If you've had much experience using a walk-behind brush mower (such as a Billy Goat or DR), are you saying the Swisher Brush Cutter doesn't do as well on very thick/high weeds, including thick stands of Johnson grass?

Does the tow bar "off-set" feature work very well?

TheLBLman

fins&fur said:
..i bought the 44in with the 12.5 briggs in april....i would sell ya mine if you want to save a lil money.
Am interested in speaking with you about it.
Just sent you an email. Tried to send you a "TnDeer" message, but either your or my TNdeer mailbox must be full.
Let me know if you don't get the regular email, as I am seriously interested.

fins&fur

i have no problem with mine in thick grass..ya just have to go slow..i really see no advantage to having the 14.5hp..as far as the off set..i have never turned mine..dont really know..i also belive the 44in is the only one with a stump jumper..and swing blades..tell ya what wess..im in henry county..come get mine and try it..then you will know for sure if ya want one or not..

fins&fur

got your email after last post..dont know why my pm's dont work..havent in 4-5 years..i'll send you one..my teenage daughter has my phone most of the time..hers is for calls..mine is for texts..i guess..

Fireslayer

If your planning to cut trails beware the mower will easily bottom out. Otherwise, they work well for cutting plots a little lower or grass.

fins&fur

Wes Parrish said:
fins&fur said:
..i bought the 44in with the 12.5 briggs in april....i would sell ya mine if you want to save a lil money.
Am interested in speaking with you about it.
Just sent you an email. Tried to send you a "TnDeer" message, but either your or my TNdeer mailbox must be full.
Let me know if you don't get the regular email, as I am seriously interested.
your pms are full..

TheLBLman

fins&fur said:
your pms are full..
Yes, that TNdeer "pm" box stays full, but on the bright side, I do have regular email. Will plan to speak with you within the next 24 to 36 hours.

Oh, crap! You saw an OLD message in my TNdeer "pm" box from the Wildcat! Wish TNdeer would allow for more messages there. Mine just stays full because there are some I don't want to delete.

BSK

Wes Parrish said:
For much of my use the 52" version would be less practical, and think (even though it has 4 wheels) the wheels are smaller? May be wrong, but think the 44" would do better on uneven ground or pulling across a creek? I'm kinda looking for something in between a tractor bushhog and my walk-behind brush mower, and think this is "it".

You are correct Wes. If I was going to pull the mower over rough terrain, I would definitely go with the 44" 2-wheeled version. The balloon tires tend to bounce/roll over anything.

BSK said:
. . . . . it doesn't like cutting tall grass like Johnson grass or heavy foxtail. The big blades are made for smashing through saplings and head-high briars, and it does that with ease, even saplings as thick as broom-handles.
Interesting about it not "liking" Johnson grass. My walk-behind brush mower seems to "like" it pretty well, although I don't "like" to be behind it.

If you've had much experience using a walk-behind brush mower (such as a Billy Goat or DR), are you saying the Swisher Brush Cutter doesn't do as well on very thick/high weeds, including thick stands of Johnson grass?

Does the tow bar "off-set" feature work very well?

Yes, the offset works great. I've had no problem with it and often use that feature to mow under overhanging tree limbs around the edges of food plots, or anywhere where I don't want to drive over/through what I'm about to cut (like head-high blackberries).

The problem with tall grass is the design of the cutter's blade. It produce no "lift" to pull grasses up into the blades. So as you go over very tall grasses, the side of the cutter where the blade is spinning opposite of the direction of travel is able to grab the grass that has been pushed over by the mower and cut it, but the side of the mower where the blade is spinning in the same direction as travel slides right over the pushed down grasses. What you get is a 22" cut instead of a 44" cut. I just mow these tall-grass areas moving half a mower's width with each pass.

Yup, I used to mow all 5 acres of our foodplots with a DR walk-behind mower. Great machines, but slow to cut large areas. AND, when you happen to run over a yellow-jacket nest, the are right in your face! Not so with the pull-behind. I've not been stung once since switching to the pull-behind.

Mowing food plots:

SwisherMower.jpg

TheLBLman

Bryan, are you saying the Swisher BrushCutter doesn't do as good a job cutting food plots as your DR brush mower?

Will it cut bigger stuff than your DR, or just about the same?

BSK said:
. . . . a DR walk-behind mower. Great machines, but slow to cut large areas. AND, when you happen to run over a yellow-jacket nest, the are right in your face! Not so with the pull-behind. I've not been stung once since switching to the pull-behind.
Ah, but have you tried crossing any train tracks with your pull-behind! :grin:
You could spawn a whole new country song for ole Hank.
Poor ole BSK. He got stang, hit by a train, bit by a snake, and nearly burned at the stake. Loan him your truck, one big mistake.
SwisherMower.jpg

Have you thought about getting a large tractor bushhog mower to just pull with your truck? ;)
I hear your truck does pretty well pulling a good-sized farm disc?

Football Hunter

Wes,the offset works great,IF,you dont ever have to turn to the side its offset,you can get it hung up on the 4 wheeler tires.I dont use the offset very often for this reason.Have very irregular shaped plots,always turning in differert directions.

BSK

Wes Parrish said:
Bryan, are you saying the Swisher BrushCutter doesn't do as good a job cutting food plots as your DR brush mower?

Will it cut bigger stuff than your DR, or just about the same?

First pass, I don't think it cuts Johnson-grass as well as the DR, but MUCH easier! I would use the brush-cutter every time over the walk-behind, even though it sometimes means going over it twice with the pull-behind.

And the brush-cutter will smash through stuff you wouldn't believe for such a small mower.

Have you thought about getting a large tractor bushhog mower to just pull with your truck? ;)
I hear your truck does pretty well pulling a good-sized farm disc?

Luckily, we finally got an old tractor and PTO bush-hog. Although today, the blade went flying off the bush-hog!!! :eek: And no, I was NOT the one driving it at the time! Surprisingly...

richmanbarbeque

Wes, On my plots I use the Swisher finish mower and it works awesome. As you know it is not designed to cut 2" trees but it surprisingly does a great job on over grown fields, within reason.

Boone 58

Wes Parrish said:
Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Is the 44" more practical than the 52"?

On the 44", is opting for the larger 14.5 hp (vs. standard 12.5) engine worth the extra $?

Any thoughts appreciated.

I have the 60" finish and works great. I would highly prefer an engine with an oil filter more than anything because units i have owned on riders are far superior in lasting performance with them than without them.

BSK

richmanbarbeque said:
Wes, On my plots I use the Swisher finish mower and it works awesome. As you know it is not designed to cut 2" trees but it surprisingly does a great job on over grown fields, within reason.

On just tall grass and annual weeds, I agree. The finish mower does a better job.

Just don't use the finnish mower on saplings. You will break it.

Latest posts