Thoughts on cowpeas?

DeerCamp

My food plots.... brassicas, cereal rye and wheat did great this year.

But they didn't really attract deer the way I had hoped. I still have a field full of baseball size turnips that the deer largely ignored through deer season. And in this area I'm in serious competition with ag fields.

I'm thinking about planting cowpeas and sunflowers this year to offer something different.

Any chance the cowpeas will still be attractive in November?

Boll Weevil

Yes, I plant some every year. Consider planting with another crop like sunflowers or sorghum and they'll trellis.

1612464926947.png

BSK

But they didn't really attract deer the way I had hoped. I still have a field full of baseball size turnips that the deer largely ignored through deer season. And in this area I'm in serious competition with ag fields.

I'm thinking about planting cowpeas and sunflowers this year to offer something different.

Just remember that cowpeas are a summer crop while your brassicas/rye/wheat is a fall/winter crop. Cowpeas will die with the first frost.

But to answer your question, they are a good summer plant for food plots. Their primary down side is that deer tend to leave them alone and then suddenly wipe them out nearly overnight in mid-summer. I like to use them in mixes with other things.

DoubleRidge

This past summer we planted a blend of soybeans, cowpeas and sunflower..... sunflowers jumped up... beans and peas got almost knee high...they were looking good....then similar to what BSK described....the deer found these two plots (3ac & 2ac) and really enjoyed a nice buffet for a couple of weeks ....they mowed them down and stripped the sunflowers....leaves, flowers and all.....but the cowpeas did great and looked good...while they lasted......late summer we broadcast a fall blend into what stubble was left and bushogged everything....got a couple of good rains to follow and both plots greened up nice for fall.

DeerCamp

Any thoughts on what I can plant to be a more attractive fall plot?

We saw deer, but I would really like to attract deer more consistently.

JCDEERMAN

This past summer we planted a blend of soybeans, cowpeas and sunflower..... sunflowers jumped up... beans and peas got almost knee high...they were looking good....then similar to what BSK described....the deer found these two plots (3ac & 2ac) and really enjoyed a nice buffet for a couple of weeks ....they mowed them down and stripped the sunflowers....leaves, flowers and all.....but the cowpeas did great and looked good...while they lasted......late summer we broadcast a fall blend into what stubble was left and bushogged everything....got a couple of good rains to follow and both plots greened up nice for fall.
🤣 Same thing happened to our beans. Our biggest field did ok (3 acres). In the seclusion cage they were waist high

BSK

My preferred fall food plot is a mixture of buckwheat (as a cover crop for everything else; it will die back with the first frost), mixed with Austrian Winter Peas, Crimson clover, and wheat.

JCDEERMAN

My preferred fall food plot is a mixture of buckwheat (as a cover crop for everything else; it will die back with the first frost), mixed with Austrian Winter Peas, Crimson clover, and wheat.
Does that buckwheat come back in the spring? If so, that in combination with the crimson clover would seem to be a magnet for turkeys.

BSK

No, the buckwheat is a warm season annual. It will flower, but the deer eat all the seedheads.

But yes, the wheat seedheads and clover are a major draw for turkey in spring.

DeerCamp

I guess my hesitation with clover is that it seems like every body uses clover. I was trying to offer up something unique.

Is Crimson clover different in terms of appeal?

BSK

Not necessarily. I use it because it is an annual that will grow in any soil, and a bit cheaper than the expensive perennial clovers. Honestly, the biggest draws are 1) the buckwheat until the first freeze; and 2) the Austrian Winter Peas. But deer can eat those back pretty fast. The clover is then the staple until the really cold weather sets in. Then the deer hit the wheat hardest for the carbs.

BSK

In the background is one of my fall plots on October 1st of this year. The tall plant with the white blooms is the buckwheat.

Attachments

• plots1.jpg
    plots1.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 94

Thelonegoose

Is this your first year planting the turnips? It can sometimes take the deer a year or two to get used to having a new and different food source available. I planted rape in some plots for the first time this year and the deer barely touched it. Additionally, Soybeans are a great fall crop if you can keep the deer from eating all of it in the summer.

DeerCamp

Is this your first year planting the turnips? It can sometimes take the deer a year or two to get used to having a new and different food source available. I planted rape in some plots for the first time this year and the deer barely touched it. Additionally, Soybeans are a great fall crop if you can keep the deer from eating all of it in the summer.
Yep. First time. I'm just torn on what to do.

Everything grew well. We saw deer. But I just feel like I'm not hitting my potential.

I've thought about just doing corn but not sure if 2 acres is enough

wildlifefarmer

Yep. First time. I'm just torn on what to do.

Everything grew well. We saw deer. But I just feel like I'm not hitting my potential.

I've thought about just doing corn but not sure if 2 acres is enough
2 acres is enough if you have a good mast crop. This year we had approx 6 ac of corn in 1 to 1.5 acrea plots,all was gone by Oct. Too many deer not much of a mast crop!! However, the last several years along with this year we have had great results with oats and crimson clover. the deer are still hitting it. Wheat is my 2nd choice. Good luck and enjoy the ups and downs of the ride.

BSK

However, the last several years along with this year we have had great results with oats and crimson clover. the deer are still hitting it. Wheat is my 2nd choice.
As long as your soils are in good shape, oats outdraws wheat every time. I just like wheat because it's so bulletproof. It will grow in some pretty awful soils. Only thing easier to grow than wheat is cereal rye. I can grow a great crop of that in a gravel driveway.

Madbowh

Ive tried some different things and certain grass seems to do best for me. I've taken deer a couple miles from any field or grass and they've had grass in there belly. 80-90%of deer I take have fresh grass in their belly. With certain plots I believe it takes a couple generations for they to really flock to it. A good example I've experienced is I hunted a apple orchard and you couldn't keep the deer from them hunted a hundred miles or so from it and those deer wouldn't touch any apples I put out(different varieties). But they all love grass(certain types) in my experience grass is the better option they cling to it like corn when you research and plant the right grass.

Monk74

Turnip greens, not fruit turnips. Austrian winter peas,rape, Siberian Kale, Clovers,and it's hard to beat good ole winter wheat. Especially after season. I believe it really helps bridge the gap until spring. I mix it all together.

DeerCamp

Turnip greens, not fruit turnips. Austrian winter peas,rape, Siberian Kale, Clovers,and it's hard to beat good ole winter wheat. Especially after season. I believe it really helps bridge the gap until spring. I mix it all together.
I just bought a bunch of bags of "deadly dozen" on clearance at gander. Has all of those things in it, so hope I made the right call.

I'll update plot pics this fall. Thanks for chiming in :)

Latest posts