Thompson Center shockwave question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok I shoot TC shockwave bullets in my muzzleloaders.
They have the blue tips on them.
I have seen them in blue and yellow.

I ASSUMED that the blue tips were 250 grain and the yellow was something else.

I only have like 3 bullets left from last year and I happened to be at walmart today and just swung through the sporting goods department, kind of a rule you got to at least look when you go in. :D

Anyway, I was shocked and happy when I happen to notice THEY HAD SOME ! Wow, what gives? Didn't expect that at all.

So anyway, I grab a box and head to check out.
I get home and was getting all our stuff together for tomorrow afternoon and happen to compare my new bullets to my old ones.
Same brand, same blue tip, but the bullets I had are longer than the ones I bought.
Same diameter, of course, but quite a bit longer.

What gives with that?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
The new ones are 250 grain.
My old ones I thought were 250 grain.

I thought the color of the tip signified bullet weight?
So is there 250 and 300 grain blue tip shockwaves?

paradis1142

Blue tip is bonded
Yellow tip isnt bonded

I dont know why they are longer though if they are the same weight unless the package is marked wrong or they are 45 caliber instead of 50.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I recently went thru this Ruger. It is confusing.There are 2(250) Shock Waves on the Market. 1 has a black Sabot Jacket with a Yellow Tip. The black sabot jacket has 4 petals the bullet has a spire point. It was designed for regular M.L. loads.
The other one has a yellow Jacket. The Bullet has a blue spire tip. These bullets are also Bonded.The yellow jacket only has 2 petals. TC designed this bullet for the new magnum loads. The 2 petals are supposed to grip the bullet tighter and hang on longer before falling away.Yelllow jacket blue tip equals greater accuricy at longer ranges.
My gun shoots them both very well.Yellow jacket blue tip costs more money.They come in a Box of 15. Black jacket yellow tip comes in a box of 30 and cost less per bullet.
There is a difference but not much. Better performance at longer ranges is what TC advertises.I haven't shot both enough out of my New ML to say one is better than the other
I will try to find the links for my research and post them.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
The Blue bonded tips are supposed to hold together better for going thru bone.The yellow tips are not bonded and should fragment quicker causing more internal damage.
The bullets are the same size. The yellow jacket has shorter petals than the black one.The yellow one also has a deeper bottom on the powder end. I think TC is just increasing sells by messing with us.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
bullets.jpg

Both are blue tips, as you can see and both have two petal sabots.
One bullet is just longer than the other.
Apparently the blue tip, bonded bullet comes in different weights.
$18.00 threw away unless I want to re-sight. :crazy:

big jim

The one on the right looks like a 250gr bonded shockwave. The one on the left ,most likely a 300 gr bonded shockwave.

In my opinion the bonded bullets are not required on deer the size found here in Tennessee. The only exception would be shooting at extremely close range with a magnum charge, and the bonded bullet might hold together better inhibiting bullet upset.

The yellow tipped standard shockwave work great with standard 100gr charges. I killed an 8 pointer at 60 yds on Sunday with one and he didn't take a step. Pass tthrough with expansion.

I'd shoot one and see POI as compared to the 300's. I would not be surprised if the print relatively close.

Tiny

RUGER said:
...So anyway, I grab a box and head to check out.
I get home and was getting all our stuff together for tomorrow afternoon and happen to compare my new bullets to my old ones.
Same brand, same blue tip, but the bullets I had are longer than the ones I bought.
Same diameter, of course, but quite a bit longer.

What gives with that?

Are you Sure they are the same dia bullet?

Reason is if I ain't mistaken T/C packages a 40cal Bullet for 50 Cal ML in the same weights as they do 45cal Bullet/ 50 Cal ML.

May have been mismarked.

Otherwise no ideal.

Latest posts