Food Plots Thistle crowns!

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Hey, yall want to get ahead of thistle now is the time! Established thistle can be hard to eradicate because of the large root in the ground that stores the plants energy. It's easy to kill the top but the it comes back.
Right now thru March thistle crowns are spreading and growing and are very vulnerable and they are relatively easy to find. Hit them hard with a strong mix of gly with a good surfactant and hurt them bad, mix in a little crossbow and be done with that one.
While you are at it look for mullen or lambs ear. It grows in the same soils that thistle likes and where I find one I often find the other.

Bucket

Good info. Is this what you're looking for this time of year?

0580013.jpg

megalomaniac

Always heard gly was much less effective less than 70 degree ambient temps.... so I've never sprayed this early. If it kills fine in cooler temps, I've got a few places on edges of plots I could hammer this weekend when I come up to coyote hunt.

Bucket

Always heard gly was much less effective less than 70 degree ambient temps.... so I've never sprayed this early. If it kills fine in cooler temps, I've got a few places on edges of plots I could hammer this weekend when I come up to coyote hunt.
My guess is that's because most plants are still pretty dormant at cooler temps, and it sounds like from what Popcorn said that thistle is actively growing earlier.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
My guess is that's because most plants are still pretty dormant at cooler temps, and it sounds like from what Popcorn said that thistle is actively growing earlier.
The thistle is usually active in March but we have had crazy warm weather and are about to have a few more days near 70. I see it growing in Stewart county and Trigg.
I have success with these points.
Must be actively growing
Use a good surfactant (diesel) or dawn
Mix a little hotter in cooler weather
When in doubt add a little crossbow to the mix.
Spray on a sunny day

megalomaniac

How about 24d plus remedy on them this time of year? I have some problem areas on dams of ponds and I need to save the grass on the pond dams for erosion purposes. I didn't get them until July last year, and they had already good to seed.

tug

Hey, yall want to get ahead of thistle now is the time! Established thistle can be hard to eradicate because of the large root in the ground that stores the plants energy. It's easy to kill the top but the it comes back.
Right now thru March thistle crowns are spreading and growing and are very vulnerable and they are relatively easy to find. Hit them hard with a strong mix of gly with a good surfactant and hurt them bad, mix in a little crossbow and be done with that one.
While you are at it look for mullen or lambs ear. It grows in the same soils that thistle likes and where I find one I often find the other.
Read the label for application temps.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Read the label for application temps.
From IA Extension office at IAstate.edu

Weather conditions and herbicide applications

Weather conditions prior to and following application have a strong influence on performance of early spring herbicide applications. In some situations, the result will simply be a slower kill of target plants, but in other situations control failures may occur. It is best to avoid applications during periods of prolonged cool temperatures (<40°F at night; <55°F during the day). If applications must be made during marginal conditions, increasing rates of the herbicide and spray additives to maximum levels allowed on labels can enhance performance consistency. Adjusting the sprayer or spray volume to achieve more uniform coverage of the target can also reduce variability in activity.

Look at the forecast for this week. Regardless I have used it successfully during these temps for years

Last edited:

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
How much diesel to use as surfactant, 1%?
Also @Popcorn, how much gly and 2-4D per gallon? I have a 1 gallon pump sprayer being dedicated to this type of mixing with diesel…basal spraying, spot spraying, etc….I saw a lot of it this past weekend and was wandering what to spray on it.
I mix hot for spot spraying cause I hate doing it twice.
Gly at 3.5 oz / gal
2 4 D or crossbow at 2 oz / gal
Surfactant or diesel at 4 oz / gal

You don't have to drown the plant, just use good pressure and a good setting on the tip to get great coverage with a quick spray.

Note; per the quoted article 2 4-d LV (ester) is more effective at lower temps

Note; diesel does not readily mix but will with a good shaking or stirring and a little time
Dawn dish soap is similar, you have to dissolve it before adding it but use no more than a half ounce per gallon or all you will get is suds

redblood

gly still works at temps as low as 50. but it takes much longer for it to work. I sprayed last year on a cold april day and i thought i must have mixed it too week. no discoloration for 15 weeks. a month later, it was bare dirt. it will work, you just have to wait longer to see results

Latest posts