Food Plots Need herbicide for thistle in clover plot

Hunt 365

2-4DB (butyrac) if the thistles aren't too grown up. Then there's this super expensive herbicide called Raptor but it costs 10x as much. Try butyrac. Bought mine from keystone pest supply

Hunt 365

2-4DB (butyrac) if the thistles aren't too grown up. Then there's this super expensive herbicide called Raptor but it costs 10x as much. Try butyrac. Bought mine from keystone pest supply

double browtine

Hunt 365":1ed4vpe7 said:

Thanks, I see if rural king has it or co-op on the way home from work tomorrow. Gonna try to spray it this weekend.

Hunter 257W

I bought my 2-4DB from Keystone also. Look under "Alfalfa & Deer Food Plots" in the drop down menu. What Bucket said is important too. Be sure you don't get regular 2-4D or it will hurt your clover.

Hunter 257W

RobbyW":3ih7mazh said:
My granny used to always go out and cut the flowers off when they bloom and put them in a bucket. It really helped with them spreading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did that too for years on the farm. It makes a big difference too. If you let even one of those bunches of seeds produce it will seed a whole field. They blow no telling how far in hardly any breeze. I've gotten lazy in recent years and let some bloom and I'm paying the price for it now.

Boone 58

Hunter 257W":lduzcfdk said:
I bought my 2-4DB from Keystone also. Look under "Alfalfa & Deer Food Plots" in the drop down menu. What Bucket said is important too. Be sure you don't get regular 2-4D or it will hurt your clover.

The correct word for this isn't hurt............it will "KILL" your clover. :lol:

Hunter 257W

Well supposedly 2-4D will kill clover but I've put it out on my yard at concentrations as high as 1 quart per acre and all it does to the clover is make it curl up for a week then it recovers completely. However I agree that you don't want to risk using STANDARD 2-4D on clover you've paid for and want to keep.

double browtine

smalljawbasser":312ephov said:
How big is the plot in question?

Best way to manage thistle is to keep it mowed so it doesn't go to seed, and let everything else out compete it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's about an acre, but there is CRP all around. We just burned all the CRP. They sprayed all the CRP last fall with Arsenal, to try and kill all the trees that had grown up. They did it with a helicopter. It also bleed over and killed all our clover plots. We are going to keep the plots bush hogged till this fall, and then replant them all. But we have noticed that the clover is coming back out this spring. So depending on how they look come September, we may either overseed, or spray, disc, and replant.

MickThompson

Imazethapyr will kill it and a bunch of other stuff out of your clover. It's soil active too, so it keeps new weeds from showing up. It comes with sticker shock- $350/gallon, but the rate is only 4 oz/acre. It costs about the same as gly per acre.