This Morning's Bittersweet Hunt

Mike Belt

I thoroughly enjoyed the walk in this morning; no wind, 28 degrees, a full moon through fields of frosty diamonds, and all the while being serenaded by distant song dogs and close by owls. I made my way through a series of pastures to where I dropped off the ridge on an old road that lead through the woods to the lower pastures. I stopped to check a couple of scrapes on top before heading down. Clean but not recently worked. I got down to the lower pastures. There are 2 narrow pastures; each 500 yards long separated by a treed fence line. The deer like to cross them from timber to timber on each side. There are about a dozen scrapes along the far side and a few decent sized rubs. In my Texas tripod 1/2 hour before light and then I was open for business after sunrise. My first customer was a huge bobcat. I wouldn't be surprised if it went 40 pounds. Next was a coyote crossing below me followed by another 15 minutes later. I sat there mentally going through the same thing I do every year about this time and that is stand pulling for the season. To me there's something about when to pull a stand towards the end of the season that makes that last hunt there bittersweet. It was placed there in anticipation, rather real or perceived. I will forever see those bucks that crossed in front of it and those that should have. A 132" buck did pass without harm but his 128" cohort was not so lucky. A collage of does and fawns and smaller bucks also provided visual entertainment. Those scenes all provide me with a never ending story that I recall and replay throughout the year that only serve to rebuild the fever and anticipation for the following year. Taking a productive stand down is like saying goodbye to an old friend and partner but that friendship is effortlessly rekindled come next Autumn. I will miss him until then.

The morning passed without further ado. Just about the time I was ready to climb down a doe and fawn crossed over in front of me into the far side timber. Fifteen minutes later they came busting back out sprinting back across the field. I counted on them having encountered my buck and he would also come charging out any second. Instead 3 coyotes came out on the run and were right on the heels of the 2 deer. The first one dropped at 101 yards. At the shot the other 2 took off headed to the other end of the pasture. I started barking like a dog and low and behold they stopped to look back. The second one hit the dirt at 183 yards. The third one was in high gear and I missed at 250 yards. He's probably still running. I climbed down and readied my old friend for the trip home. On the way out I checked the top scrapes again. They had been reworked while I sat below. Anticipation....

TheLBLman

Mike, you are truly a MATURE and accomplished Hunter-Manager.
Thanks for sharing your morning story.

And I'm sure you did the local deer herd and the other human hunters a good favor in taking out those coyotes. That was some great shooting and hunting skills on display. Going to have to remember that "barking like a dog" tactic. :)

Did you video tape that? :D

Mike Belt

Nope Wes I didn't. I have a couple of pics on the phone I took of them afterwards but I'm a computer dummy and don't know how to post them. I usually don't shoot yotes for fear of possibly missing an opportunity at an incoming buck. My hunt was over this morning and I guess they kind of pissed me off chasing the deer so I let her rip. Fun while it lasted.

TheLBLman

Mike Belt said:
. . . . I guess they kind of pissed me off chasing the deer so I let her rip.
You did good.

I believe our coyotes are evolving into more proficient deer killers than in times past, particularly on fawns and yearling deer, while we've noticed an increase in coyotes chasing older deer as well.

Many of the wounded deer that might have otherwise survived their wounds become high-priority targets by coyotes. And I'm not just talking "wounds" from poor shots by arrows and bullets, but wounds from bucks fighting. The coyotes smell blood on an animal and start dogging that particular animal, whether it is actually weakened or not by its wounds.

In early November I witnessed an adult doe that had been grazed by a hunter's bullet. It was a totally superficial wound, barely drawing blood. The next day, I and another hunter both saw a huge male coyote chasing that same doe, and he was within less than 10 feet of catching her when the other hunter ended the chase. I watched the coyote chase that doe a distance of about 150 yards across an open area, but the distance was beyond my shooting skills and I didn't consider it a safe shot.

Last time I saw that doe, she was swimming across a swamp, and safely made it to the other side over 100 yards from where the coyote had to quit the chase. She seemed to be running and acting perfectly normal, but the coyote was a tad faster, maybe had more endurance (than any deer) and had almost made contact with her back legs. I'm near certain THAT coyote (large adult male) would have killed that adult deer in a one-on-one coyote vs. deer.

Whether turkey, deer, squirrel or whatever, if a coyote comes in bow range, or shotgun range, it gets shot at every time.
Every where I hunt, there are loads of coyote.

treefarmer

I've seen a few coyotes but not taken any as I don't have a use for them and have read they reproduce more if you shoot the alpha male so you end up with more than you started with. Is there anything you can do with one if you get it?

Hunter 257W

Your 1st sentence describing the sights and sounds of your walk to your hunting spot captures deer hunting at it's best! Yeah, each season leaves me with some sadness too that it is over. I always get in a panic mode once the calendar flips over to January for that very reason. After New Years day there are just a few days left to deer hunt and I know that I can't miss a day at that point because soon the 10 month dry spell will start the long wait until next year. :( On the bright side, once it's over you get to sleep later and speaking for myself, in spite of wishing deer season would go a little longer, there is a part of me that enjoys that 1st Saturday after season ends because I can finally sleep until I'm fully rested! Also, there is still 2 months of crow shooting left at that point and you can get outside and do some purely fun and more casual/social hunting there.

I applaud you on the coyote kills. Especially the running shot. That's not easy to do! I hope to get another opportunity or two at them myself this year.

Latest posts