This is an awful story

AT Hiker

Simply watch some of the online Turkey hunting videos and read some hunt descriptions...far too many go this way; "I heard footsteps and once he popped his head over the rise I busted him".
It's a wonder more people don't get shot. Maybe Im too conservative on target identification but I've experienced one too many close encounters with someone sneaking in on a public land bird that I practice extreme caution.

I hate it for the hiker and the hunter who shot him, bad all the way around.

Carlos

Charges need to be filed. These cases should never be marked off as accidents!

I hope they investigate and rule out the shooting wasn't accidentally/on purpose, because some hunters can be territorial on public land. (Another reason to close the area to the public while hunts are going on.)

fairchaser

Yet another reason to hunt private land. This type of thing seems to happen on public land where hunters are unaware of others hunting or using the land.

Bell3wv

Cannot even imagine, I just hope everyone finishes the season safe and makes good decisions. This is just horrible

Not identifying your target as a gobbler is not an accident. Hope this idiot is never able to set foot in the woods again.

TheLBLman

Not identifying your target as a gobbler is not an accident.
Exactly.
Then beyond that, just what about a human head resembles a turkey's head?

I'm coming from the perspective that this so-called hunter was not in fact shooting at a real turkey, and the hiker was unfortunately in the background unseen. That would be quite a stretch, but more in line with accidental than purposefully negligent & stupid.

I have had a multiple experiences where game was between me and another hunter, and had either of us shot at the game between us, could have been one of us dying.

One of the closest calls I ever had, and it was on private property, was when a squirrel ran down the side of a tree, I almost shot him, but noticed another hunter (previously unseen) only about 15 yds away, and he was about to pull the trigger on that same squirrel. We were both pointing our shotguns right at each other, each of us seeing each other simultaneously.

Just saying, true accidents CAN happen.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Yet another reason to hunt private land. This type of thing seems to happen on public land where hunters are unaware of others hunting or using the land.
I'm afraid, generally speaking, we often have a false sense of security when turkey hunting on private land. Turkey-seeking poachers/trespassers are much bolder than deer poachers, and all are in full camo.

I've personally had some close calls on private land (from trespassing poachers), and there have been multiple instances of poachers shooting at another hunter's decoys.

But from my perspective, poaching and illegal trespassing resulting in someone being shot, that would typically not fall under the category of an accidental shooting, any more than someone very drunk getting behind the wheel and killing someone while drunk. It's not an accident.

Latest posts