Food Plots Thinking about starting a plot. Have a ?

Tennessee Lead

I am thinking about planting a food source in a long bottom that I have hunted the last 2 years. It is in between two very steep and long hills and has some scattered walnut trees throughout it so it is shaded through the morning and evening. There is a creek that runs through the middle of it and the dirt is black as coal. The bottom is well over a mile long but the creek breaks it up in places and I would want to utilize a spot that's around 150 yards by 80 yards. I may not plant that whole area but would like to cover the most of that section. It will need to be bush hogged it had not been in 2 years. What is something I could plant in it that would grow and when should I do it? I may be able to have a disc run over it if the land owner will agree to it. I had a hidey hole plot about 5 years ago but that is the only dealings I have had with one.

woodsman87

In my experience wheat, rye, and oats come up with none to little soil prep. Rape also comes up pretty good with little to no soil prep.

If it is very shady really not much at all will grow there, but it sounds like you have a wonderful spot, and the way you describe you should be able to plant any of your regular food plot mixes.

I would plant it from now until about October 1st. Try to do it before a good rain.

Tennessee Lead

Thank you. It is a awesome looking place. 2 years ago it was bush hogged and allowed some green grass to grow and it was on fire. I was hunting in the woods on the hill and couldn't see the bottom. I knew deer were skirting me so I decided to move down the hill overlooking a trail and the bottom. Killed 2 of my best bucks back to back mornings in the bottom. Both were pushing a doe. So I thought I would try and plant something in it this year and might rekindle some magic lol.

348Winchester

Try wheat and rye but don't forget that lime is more important than fertilizer. Throw in some crimson clover for good measure. Plant at twice the suggested seeding rat if broadcasting seed on ground that has minimal preparation.