The twists and turns of a turkey hunt

Setterman

This morning greeted me with complete silence at sunrise all the way until I finally struck a bird around 8:30 am. The perfect bird it seemed as well, once he gobbled the first time he pretty much gobbled non stop as I made my move to the finger he was on.

I slid into position no more than 100 yard from him as his loud mouth made it possible pinpoint him and allowed me to get a pretty ideal set up. First call once set up was immediately answered, I set the call down and in no time he fired off danger close. Soon I heard him drum and saw him in full strut heading on a rope to his death.

meanwhile a second bird started gobbling down below me several hundred yards in a bowl.

Watching bird the original bird strut slowly to his death was setting up perfectly, as he crossed 70 yards. 60 yards, and all of a sudden at 50 yards and minutes away from death he broke strut ran his head up and reset his wings. At this moment my Mind immediately thinks how the F did he see me? I was statue still and hidden very well.

the bird below me had continued to gobble and seemingly had gotten closer, but I didn't pay much attention as I was focused.

as I watched the original bird nervously pace about I caught movement off to my left and two jakes topped the finger. When they did the original bird turned and left. I threw a last ditch call his way which he immediately gobbled at but still left. The jakes followed.

Dumbfounded I decided screw it, I will turn my attention to the other bird who was gobbling like crazy now. In no time he was close, then footsteps in leaves, and gobbling right on top of me. I waited and caught movement then out steps another jake, then another jake who immediately gobbles. This was obviously the other bird gobbling.

For the first time in my turkey career I had jakes completely bust a hunt and save a longbeards life That I know of. It was interesting to witness, and although A little frustrating also kind of entertaining. A sure thing kill, stolen by the rowdy neighborhood kids haha.

This sport is so much fun, frustrating, bizarre, and full of twists and turns.

megalomaniac

You never stop learning in the turkey woods, even after 30 years. Plus you got all the good out of that hunt and didn't waste a tag!

I've actually seen a gang of jakes subordinate a tom several times (a gang of 5 or 6, not 1 or 2). In fact, on my local lease in south MS this year, we have just 1 tom, but he won't even gobble as the group of 5 jakes has beaten him into submission. The toms desire to breed will eventually get the best of him.

Bgoodman30

I can't stand Jakes that are full of themselves... Watched a group of jakes last year run into 2 strutters at full speed, like heat seeking missiles. A full scale riot went down after that.. Bodies were flying everywhere.. Craziest thing I have ever seen..

Andy S.

Great real life story of turkey hunting in the hardwoods. As you and others stated stated so accurately, rowdy neighborhood jakes, especially several of them, can spoil a long beard's death march in seconds flat. I have had it happen a few times over the years myself. Very frustrating at times, but it all works out in the end. Thanks for sharing.

Hymie3

Great story. I'm sure you will get him soon enough. My bud had a gobbler coming the other day and a gang of jakes bullied him off also...they can be turds

philsanchez76

Thanks for sharing! As a fairly new turkey hunter, I am always trying to learn. Is there anything you could've done in that scenario? Or was that hunt just at the fate of those dang jakes?

megalomaniac

Thanks for sharing! As a fairly new turkey hunter, I am always trying to learn. Is there anything you could've done in that scenario? Or was that hunt just at the fate of those dang jakes?
Nothing you can do once the jakes have heard your calling.

If you know there is a gang of jakes running the show, you can call just quietly enough the tom can hear you but the jakes can't. I finally killed a tom 20 years ago that was run down by 7 jakes and they ruined 3 hunts prior by finding the tom 100y from the jake group in a broken field. I used the terrain and sparse cover to sneak to within 80 yards of the tom and called just barely loudly enough for him to hear me, but the jakes couldn't. He perked up, looked at the jakes, snuck 5 yards closer, looked back at the jakes, and repeated this until he got 30 yards away from me and blew up in full strut.

Even crazier, that tom had 1.25in spurs and were razor sharp. He just never used them to fight to wear them down.

woodsman04

I don't think I've ever had it happen like that, and I've hunted a long time.
I have had them run them out of fields and cow pastures numerous times.

Gravey

I wouldn't do it now but years ago had a gobbler coming in and some jakes flew over a creek and began running him in circles. He finally left and they followed. I was so mad and told my brother if they come back I'm killing one. When they were almost out of site so we could move they turned back. Turned out to be a deadly mistake for the leader. LOL

Setterman

I wouldn't do it now but years ago had a gobbler coming in and some jakes flew over a creek and began running him in circles. He finally left and they followed. I was so mad and told my brother if they come back I'm killing one. When they were almost out of site so we could move they turned back. Turned out to be a deadly mistake for the leader. LOL
this crossed my mind Haha. I'll find them next year and will remind them of their previous mistake

Latest posts