The Bootleggers for woodyard

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Got to thinking about the old car that @woodyard showed me at Calico Rock today so I did some searching.
The Bootleggers was filmed in 1974 in and around Calico Rock.
I guess the scene where they lost their car is right at the 15 minute mark.
Seen that big ole cliff on more than a couple trips. LOL

Here are some interesting details about the film.

The film was a Hatfield/McCoy-type story of feuding moonshiners. While the film starred seasoned actor Slim Pickens, it was the premiere of a young starlet that garnered much of the film's attention.

Jaclyn Smith of Charlie's Angels fame got her film debut as Sally Fannie Tatum, the love interest to the film's lead character. Pierce said he found Smith at a hotel bar in Dallas.

"I was under pressure to cast that part, so I told [the film's producers], 'All right, I'll go find somebody for that part right now,'" Pierce said. "I walked up to this blonde and said, 'I'm Charles B. Pierce, and I'm a moviemaker.'"

The blonde wasn't interested in the acting gig, but her brunette friend (Smith) asked Pierce, "I'm the samesize; I just have darker hair," Pierce recalled.

Smith was cast without an audition.

Pierce's wife, Beth, recalled one story from when Bootleggers was being filmed. She said Charlie, as she calls him, approached a local family about renting their house to film its exterior for several days. To do so, though, Pierce would need to take down a large television antennae in the front yard. The family agreed, with the condition that the film crew put the antennae back up each day before 5 p.m. "so they could watch their shows."

Pierce agreed, and when they were done filming and put the antennae back up the final day, Pierce sent his crew inside to make sure the TV was still working.

"It wasn't working," Pierce said, "so we replaced the cable. It still wasn't working ... so I said, 'Just go to town and buy them a new TV.'"

Pierce's crew bought a color TV, and when they hooked it up, the family's mother said, "Well, we ain't had a picture in years. We've just been listenin' to it."

Thought ya'll might like that. :D

woodyard

Lol, that is pretty good. Hey I bet we could find some oher pretty interesting stuff in the Calico area from back in the day, knowing some of the folks over there that I know. They might not want to admit to it though. Lol

Heck I know quite a bit of history from Eagle Hill and Garrett Lake area. It wasn't always a sleepy little community. Rough back when I was a kid.

Latest posts