Texan .457 verses NATO Body Armor Vest.

Kirk

I bought a military surplus NATO Body Armor vest from Sportsmansguide.com a couple of years ago. It is really heavy. I decided I would shoot it with my Texan .457 SS airgun today just to see if it would stop the projectile. I was shocked with the outcome of this test.

The .457 caliber 240 grain NSA Hollow point, fired with 2900 PSI from my Texan .457 SS at 25 yards completely penetrated and exited the NATO Body Armor Vest.

I pulled the "ballistic" panels out of the vest to show the clean penetration. The vest allowed the airgun projectile to easily pass through the panels, foam backing and vest material. Obviously, these vest are not bullet proof.

Jacket 1.jpg
IMG_2240.jpg
IMG_2248 Entry Hole.jpg
IMG_2251Entry Armor Hole.jpg
IMG_2253 BACK PANEL.jpg
IMG_2247 Exit Hole.jpg

Omega

Definitely not bullet proof. Here is how a Kevlar soft armor panel holds up against 5.56 green tips and my .40. All pulled from the entrance side, no penetration.

vm8210n.jpg

mpEKxfN.jpg

2bu4Zjg.jpg

Last edited:

TNlandowner

I bought a military surplus NATO Body Armor vest from Sportsmansguide.com a couple of years ago. It is really heavy. I decided I would shoot it with my Texan .457 SS airgun today just to see if it would stop the projectile. I was shocked with the outcome of this test.

The .457 caliber 240 grain NSA Hollow point, fired with 2900 PSI from my Texan .457 SS at 25 yards completely penetrated and exited the NATO Body Armor Vest.

I pulled the "ballistic" panels out of the vest to show the clean penetration. The vest allowed the airgun projectile to easily pass through the panels, foam backing and vest material. Obviously, these vest are not bullet proof.

View attachment 172224View attachment 172225View attachment 172226View attachment 172228View attachment 172229View attachment 172230
Without seeing the certification, that vest looks like a flak vest without plates.

"These British Army DPM Fragmentation Vests include plates and are brand new stock unissued from the British army.
These are NATO military issue DPM (distractive pattern material camo) fragmentation body armour vests. This means they are not bullet proof, but designed to stop injury from fragmentation and blunt object force.
The outer cover is lightweight and machine washable complete with velcro adjustable belly and waist straps and 2 gussetted front pockets.
This vest come complete with the brand new original protective panels"

Latest posts